Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

I didn't pre-wash my fabrics before cutting - - What do I do now? - - Is this bad??

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
Tikilishi

I didn't pre-wash my fabrics before cutting - - What do I do now? - - Is this bad??

Post by Tikilishi » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:12 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a new quilter. I'm halfway through a cotton quilting project that requires about 2,000 cut fabric pieces. The pieces are small; they're 2.25 by 3.5 inch rectangles. (It's a brick pattern)

I didn't realize before doing half of my project that I probably should've washed all the fabric first, especially because a good amount of it is from Walmart and Joann's instead of from high quality brands. Others are vintage and I'm not even sure what store they were from.

If I complete this project then wash it afterward, because of how small the pieces are, will the shrinkage be so bad that my quilt will be completely ruined?

Is there anything I can do to minimize the shrinkage?

I'm only half way done, so should I wash the fabric that I'm going to use for the rest of the quilt? It's a scrap quilt, so all the pieces will be mixed together in a random order. Would this somehow prevent shrinkage?

If I wash the batting separately before sewing it on, will that also help?

Do any of you have experience with making quilts and not prewashing the fabric? What really happens when you don't prewash?

I'm so afraid that I've done all this work for nothing. Any advice would be really appreciated. I'm pretty worried about this! Thank you. -- Alicia

auntjana

Re: I didn't pre-wash my fabrics before cutting - - What do I do now? - - Is this bad??

Post by auntjana » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:09 am

First off - it will be fine! I am in the camp of not pre washing my fabric. I have been quilting for over 50 years. Your quilt will be fine. Remember that when you quilt - the stitching - will hold the fabric together. The only thing to be worried about is colors running, and bleeding onto the other fabrics, but there is a solution for that now - Color Catcher Sheets by Shout. They are in the laundry section of a grocery store. Just throw one in when you wash the quilt. I wash my quilts on gentle, in color water and dry them on a medium heat.

Keep us up on your progress and pictures when your done, we love to see everyone's quilts.

Jana

Tikilishi

Re: I didn't pre-wash my fabrics before cutting - - What do I do now? - - Is this bad??

Post by Tikilishi » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:26 am

Wow, thank you so much for all that information.

I feel so much better knowing that you've had 50 years of experience and prefer not to prewash!

I guess I shouldn't listen to some of the internet scary stories I've heard about quilts coming apart in the wash due to not prewashing. :)

I'm curious, is there any difference in the finished product of a quilt with prewashed fabric vs not prewashed fabric?

Either way I'm very relieved to know that I can continue my not prewashed quilt without any worries. I'll definitely be buying those color catchers as well.

Thank you so much!

Alicia.

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:46 pm

Jana I'm in the same camp and when I give 1 away I include a box of the shout color catchers and some directions on how to wash the quilt and that has been good

Lois

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”