Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Denim quilt

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
QuilterontheMt

Denim quilt

Post by QuilterontheMt » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Hello all...
I'm putting together a basic 4"×4" denim quilt from my daughters old jeans. I've never sewn denim before and am sewing by hand (lacking a sewing machine at the moment) any helpfulhints for sewing denim? Also, any suggestions for a backing? Is a denim quilt something to put batting in?

AliceCharms

Re: Denim quilt

Post by AliceCharms » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi! I love denim! But it does make a heavy quilt. I made a denim quilt for my son, used cotton batting, and backed it with flannel - boy is it heavy but he likes that it's so warm.

I don't think I'd use that combo again. Maybe using just flannel for the backing, no batting, and bring the flannel to the front to create a binding? Or regular cotton to make it lighter. Or for really warm, use fleece for the batting, backing, AND bring it to the front for the binding. I do that with reg cotton quilt fabric - love it!

For hand-sewing denim, a sharps needle might help. They're generally longer and stronger and the sharp point helps get thru heavy fabrics. You might also find a needle puller helpful. They're those little rubbery pieces that you grip the needle with to pull it thru layers of heavy fabrics. For a strong thread for piecing, I believe a cotton quilting thread is stronger than regular cotton thread. For quilting, personally I love big needle quilting where you use a size 5 embroidery needle and size 8 Perle cotton. I will do that on the next denim quilt I make.

I tied my son's quilt every few inches years ago. For quilting your quilt, I think you'd want to make your quilting fairly close together to help hold the heavy layers together.

Hope this helps, take care!
Cindy in OH

QuilterontheMt

Re: Denim quilt

Post by QuilterontheMt » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:45 pm

Thank you Cindy! Very helpful!!! I think you're right, just using no batting and a flannel backing will be the way to go!

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”