Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

radiant star quilt problem with seam matching

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
deb5412

radiant star quilt problem with seam matching

Post by deb5412 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:38 am

I am new to this site and need help. I am trying to make a radiant star wall hanging. I have tried and tried to match the seams on my strips and they just won't match up. my seams measure 1/4 inch and they are still to big.

auntjana

Re: radiant star quilt problem with seam matching

Post by auntjana » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:55 am

It could be the way that the seams are pressed. To match them up, the seams need to lock together. El teaches locking seams in many of her videos. Basically, they are pressed going in opposite directions, so when you line up the pieces, the seams line up.

I took the radiant star class from El directly in San Marcos a few years ago. I am trying to remember some of the tricks and one was to make sure that you have the dots matched by putting a pin through them and the dots are exactly 1/4 inch in from the ends.

Watch the cutting and sewing directions for right and left handed. I am left handed and was getting things backwards.

Good luck
Jana

Pilot2b

Re: radiant star quilt problem with seam matching

Post by Pilot2b » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:48 am

The quilts - UFC's I need to attend to, I am going to open the seams on all of them. It is working better for me.

Helen

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”