Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

quilt using a stencil

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
asheryl

quilt using a stencil

Post by asheryl » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:10 am

I bought a stencil that doesn't have continuous lines. I've figured out how to trace the stencil on my material but wasn't sure if I was supposed to connect all the broken lines or just keep stopping and starting my quilting. I'm going to be doing this all by hand.

MainelyMe

Re: quilt using a stencil

Post by MainelyMe » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:35 am

You just keep going and connect the lines to make the complete design. The places that aren't cut out are just to hold it all together.
Joan

Pennylil

Post by Pennylil » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:28 am

I was wondering the same thing as I am a new hand quilter too. What did you use to Mark your quilt with?

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:27 pm

Exactly what Joan said - if the pattern was continuous the plastic template would fall apart. So continue the lines. I use various products - Frixion pens, and Pounce mostly. Keeping in mind that you don't actually 'pounce' the powder on, but rub it gently across the template. There are other water soluable markers you can use, too.

COSQuilter

Post by COSQuilter » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:24 am

I'm also using a stencil; a Christmas tree design with rounded-loopy boughs. I'm hoping to quilt it using my machine but have not found a way to quilt the rounded parts without it looking jagged and squared off. I've also tried hand quilting on a sample piece of fabric but the design doesn't seem to come out as clearly defined as with the machine stitching at 2.5-3.0 stitches. I've used Pounce to mark the stencil.
Does anyone have a suggestions.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”