Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

My tips for pinning any size quilt.

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
MainelyMe

My tips for pinning any size quilt.

Post by MainelyMe » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:27 am

I'm going to share what I learned when I first started quilting from an excellent teacher in Oregon. It's probably more time consuming than we might want it to be, but it works for me, so this is what I do.
I use my cutting table, but any table will work, just remember you will be using pins, so proctect any good table from being scratched by the pins with a firm cover.
Taking my backing fabric ( ironed ), I fold it in half, both ways and Mark the center of the piece. You can use a pin, or iron a small cross in the fabric, or use a bright colored big stitch you can find and pull out later.
I find the center of the table and line up the backing front side of fabric to the table. I secure it will bull clips, quilt clips, or blue painters tape, in several places.
I then take the batting and float it over the backing ( remember it will be on top of the back side of the backing fabric ).
Smooth out any wrinkles or bumps with your hands.
Then I find the center of the quilt top. I place the top center over the center of the table, which should also be the center of your backing.. if it's not quite where you want it, lift one edge and get some air under it and lay it on top again. Once it's where it should be, I secure the edges as I did the backing, unclipping the clips from underneath and using them to hold all three layers, tightly in place. If you are using tape, make sure it's holding well by attaching it to the table ( it will come right off and not leave and residue if you use painters tape ).
Then, starting in the center, I pin out in all directions with my pins no more than a hands width apart. I use a lot of pins! Mine are about 3 inches or less apart.
Once the area that it clipped to the table is completely covered with pins, I unclip it and gently move the quilt in one direction to get to an area that still needs to be pinned. I secure the quilt to the table again with the clips, smoothing it out first if needed.
I continue this process until the whole quilt is pinned.
At that point you can roll it any which way, and the fabrics won't shift.
I usually start quilting by doing a bit of stabilizing the quilt with some stitch in the ditch, but you don't have to. I also like to start in the center and work out, removing a few pins, in the area I'm working in, at a time. This keeps the unquilted parts secure, and the area you are working in open and free to move in without hitting any pins.
By the time the quilting is done, all or most of the pins will have been removed.
I hope I've made this easy to understand, but if you have any thoughts or questions, just let me know and I will try to answer you.
Happy Quilting, Joan

Marilynsgrammy

Re: My tips for pinning any size quilt.

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:31 pm

thank you Joan. I'm going to give this a shot.

I appreciate your taking the time and for making it understandable.

Chriss
Exodus 33:14

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:21 am

Great information. I will be keeping all this in mind with my next quilt.
Vel
HUGS, 💕 Vel

DouceFleur1

Post by DouceFleur1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:32 am

Joan, thank you for sharing your pinning tips with us. It sure is understandable.

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:20 am

Joan, hello my dear friend!!
This tip is just what I'm needing!!
In this new flat we're living in just now I don't have the room to lay out a full quilt so this will be very useful to me!!
Thank you 'sew' much for sharing this!! And just at the right time!
Clever you :)

Hugs!! Jacquie xxx

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:23 pm

maryq, this is the one I was telling you about

Exodus 33:14

Sewcraftyscrapper

Post by Sewcraftyscrapper » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:08 am

Thank you for this comprehensive information. I’m a new quilter, preparing to quilt my first project (a baby quilt for my niece’s greatly anticipated baby), so this is invaluable help. 😊

Skiquilter

Post by Skiquilter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:03 am

Wish I’d seen this great description before I posted my question. Thank you for the information. I think I’ll need more pins!

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:18 am

You did an excellent job describing how you do this. Thanks. Know it will help others.

Helen

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”