Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

fluffy fabric for robe..how to assemble

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
morgans4

fluffy fabric for robe..how to assemble

Post by morgans4 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:57 am

My dd wants a big fluffy robe for Christmas. I found the softest fabric I just wish I knew what it was called. It's got loops all over it. Kind of like Minky of faux fur, it's on a knit backing and will have to be cut out differently. It isn't nearly heavy enough for a robe so I also got some fleece for the underside.
My question is,
1. should I put these 2 fabrics together when sewing them, as though they were just 1 piece, which would show the seams on the inside, or
2. should I put them together separately, then just slip the fleece inside the soft fabrics, wrong sides together?

What is this fabric called, anyone know? It's 60" wide and comes in all kinds of colors. I can imagine soft baby toys made with it, or stuffed animals.

purrfect-lady

Re: fluffy fabric for robe..how to assemble

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:46 am

I don't do much sewing construction anymore, but I think if you tried to sew both of those fabrics together it would make your seams too bulky. Those are thick fabrics and you'd have 4 thicknesses. I would make the lining just as you would line any other piece of clothing. You might even consider not lining the sleeves. I don't know what that soft fabric is called but I know what you mean.

Mary z

scrapquilter48

Re: fluffy fabric for robe..how to assemble

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:16 am

It is a knit isn't it? Fabric stores might have different names to them.. You're robe will be very warm with 2 layers.. Yes, my thought is sew separately and slide in or use the French seam technique if want to make only one layer no lining.

French technique is wrong sides tog. trim the seam and sew again right sides tog. incasing the seam..

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”