Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Stencils

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
institcheswithrosie

Stencils

Post by institcheswithrosie » Sun May 17, 2015 3:29 pm

The quilting I do on my home machine has been straight line quilting or stippling. There is a stencil that is perfect for what I am doing. How do I set up the machine- feed dogs, foot, etc. thanks

scrapquilter48

Re: Stencils

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:05 am

Different from others, I have very basic machine, I use darning foot, which is the circular foot, feed dog down, works for small quilts..
Works well, but tedious and slow, until I can master the technique won't spend on other fancy machine.

Self taught, learn in baby steps.. Now in my 55yrs finally learnt not to be afraid to ask other quilt guild members for help.. I've found new friends in doing so.. Some are generous in sharing their craft other not so..

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed May 20, 2015 12:57 pm

Look for a continuous stencil - to see if it works - start at one point and trace your finger around the stencil. You should be able to end up where you started. There are many that you can use. El has quite a few videos on using a quilt stencil.

I have done feathered cables and other feathered stencils. Just a little patience.

Jana

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:49 am

I have been using stencils for many years...but as a hand quilter. Now I am doing small to medium projects by machine. Drop your feed dogs and use an embroidery/free motion foot. Many quilt shops have these.

I would trace stencil on paper, than go over it a few times with your finger or a pencil to get the feel of it.

I too am self taught, don't be afraid to experiment on scrap fabric as well....

Flo

lorettav

Post by lorettav » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Trace the stencil on to the quilt with an eraseable pen and quilt on the lines. I have done this and it works very well if you take your time.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”