Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

A square on point and sewing the Triangles to it Help please!

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
AmbeeQuilter2

A square on point and sewing the Triangles to it Help please!

Post by AmbeeQuilter2 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:45 am

I have a pattern from the Fons& Porter Love of Quilting mag for Nov/Dec of this year. I am making the project on pg 76. I have made several quilts but never this block. Its the A and B poece in this pattern that I am not forsure how to get it squared up. It has a square on point then you add 4 triangles to each side of square.Is there a correct order to sew theses on the square? Also, I have tried different ways, but I am having trouble getting them squared. There are no direction on how to do this on the pattern.

MainelyMe

Re: A square on point and sewing the Triangles to it Help please!

Post by MainelyMe » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:19 am

I don't know the pattern you are using, but if I were to sew the triangles on I would sew the first one and then go to the opposite corner, not the one right beside it. Then I would sew the third one on, and the last one would be opposite that one.
When squaring up use your diaganol line on your ruler to be sure that you have your points directly acrossed from each other. Not sure this will help, but thought I'd try.
Joan

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:30 am

When I add the triangles to the square, I do the opposite corners as well. To keep the points diagonally opposite, I fold each triangle in half, and put a finger press crease at that center. I do the same on each side of the square, a small finger press crease - then just match the creases up and the triangle will line up where it should.

Treat the triangles gently, as they are on the bias and can stretch.

Good luck,
Jana

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:11 am

After sewing on two opposite triangles, press gently (bias will stretch!) before sewing on the third and fourth triangles.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”