Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Take-along Thread Basket

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
QuiltGram8

Take-along Thread Basket

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:47 am

As per request from the quilt class at Rochester on Sat.,I am posting the directions to make the "Take-along Basket" that I was using Saturday to catch my scraps and threads. It is quite handy.

Here is what it looks like closed:

Most of it is hand sewn. Only machine stitching is making the fabric tube seam. The rest is all done by hand, but it really doesn't take long to do.
Take-Along Thread Basket

Supplies:
4 “ embroidery hoop (break off metal brace on outside hoop, then tape together will allow you to make two baskets from purchasing 1 set) I allow just a little extra material for the basket being made with the outer hoop as the dimensions are just a pinch bigger. Directions below will explain the adjustments to the pattern for the "outside" hoop.
1 fat quarter or material left overs
Thread to match
5” x 9” piece of cardboard ( such as cereal or cracker box)
5” x 9” piece of flat batting
Scissors, glue stick, hand sewing needles and straight pins.

Directions:
1. from fabric cut one piece 10 ½ inches by 13 ½ inches wide.
2. press ¼” towards the wrong side of the fabric on both of 13 ½ inch sides.
3. fold width (13 ½”) in half right sides together and sew ¼” seam lengthwise. Backstitch at each end. Press seam open. (You now should have a tube 10 ½ x 6 ½”) Fold the ¼” back over the seam and repress it.
4. Cut two 6” circles from the same fabric. Make a gathering stitch around each circle approx ¼” from the edge.
5. Cut two 4” circles from cardboard (use the inside of the embroidery hoop as a guide to trace)
6. Cut two circles to match from batting. The cardboard has to fit inside the hoop with a little room to spare. Glue the batting to one side of each circle.
7. With the right side of a fabric circle facing down, center a cardboard circle with the batting facing down and gather the thread tightly around the circle. Knot thread securely. (This is similar to making a yo-yo) Repeat with the fabric for the second circle.
8. Sandwich the two cardboard circles together, wrong sides facing, and whip stitch tightly all around the edge. This will become the base of the basket.
9. Take the fabric tube you made in Step 3, wrongside out, and slip the hoop over the tube to the middle. Fold one end of the tube over the hoop towards the other end, matching the seam and folded edges evenly. Pin to hold in place.
10. With your fingers, work the hop into the fold evenly all around and pin close to the hoop to hold in place. With matching thread, make running stitches up tight against the hoop all the way around. Knot and secure stitches. If your fabric is directional (or you like one end better than the other) be sure that the side you want to see on the outside of the basket is now on the inside. Same with the circles. In sother words, the first side you assemble will become the inside of the basket. The hoop is at the top.
11. Moving the inside layer of fabric out of the way, temporarily, slip the circle into the opening of the tube. Pin the folded edge of the tube to the outer rim of the circle, distributing any fullness evenly around the circle. (Remember, the side of the circle facing OUT now will end up INSIDE the basket). With matching thread, make small wip stitches to secure the folded edge of the tube to the circle.
12. Turn the bottom through the hoop inside out. Bring the remaining piece of tube towards the circle. Sew the remaining edge of the tube to the edge of the circle.

You are DONE!!! Twist the basket so that the base tucks into the hoop for storage. Untwist to open and pop up for use.

PS: I found some larger wooden embroidery hoops at a resale shop for just a few cents. With this in mind, I decided to try making a larger basket to use in our vehicle as a travel trash can. You can even line it with a small plastic bag, like the little one you get at Walmart or other stores.

Here are the other sizes to cut the fabric: Adjust batting and cardboard accordingly
10 ½ x 13 ½ (4 inch hoops)
11/1/4 x 16 ( 5” hoops)
12 x 19 ½ ( 6 “ hoops)

In order to use the outer hoops, break off the metal piece and squeeze together and tape back together. Then add about 3/8” to the longer side measurement of your rectangle fabric.

For cardboard pieces, just trace inside of hoop onto a cracker box cardboard and add 3/8” – ½” for gathering.

Velda

HUGS, 💕 Vel

billizzy

Re: Take-along Thread Basket

Post by billizzy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:26 am

thnx for sharing such a great lil project:)

Izzy
🐐izzy

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Velda, thanks for sharing, I've been wanting to make this but didn't have a pattern, how cool! Putting this on my list to do for me :-)
Tina

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:57 pm

If you are out in the boonies like I am in the summer and no craft store in site.....Try cutting or getting a DH, etc. to cut you some 3" PVC pipe strips 1/4" thick. It will be just a tad smaller but works fine. I wanted to make one of these for a quilt friend that I've come to know and love at the resort we stay at in Canada. I could not find hoops at Walmart 50 miles away, I had my stress attack, then these friends decided to leave a couple days early due to bad weather heading our way. Anyway I got a friend to cut some PVC pipe, had some fabric handy and made my friend a kit, with the PVC pipe. She loved it and had it done while traveling home.

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:52 am

I forgot about your new idea for the inside hoop. Thanks for sharing Lyn. For some pals, that will really work great.

Thanks for popping in with the knowledge.

Velda
HUGS, 💕 Vel

MEPIECE2

Post by MEPIECE2 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:15 am

O thank You Velda We really wanted the pattern after seeing yours.

Katy

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”