Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Holiday Wreath and Tree pattern

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
Conniequilts

Holiday Wreath and Tree pattern

Post by Conniequilts » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:02 pm

I'm a fairly new quilter, only a couple of years now. I bought the Holiday Wreath and Tree pattern but I'm confused about something. When cutting my strips do I cut them the full length of the fabric, from selvedge to selvedge? It doesn't give any direction concerning this.
Thank-you for any help that anyone can provide.

MainelyMe

Re: Holiday Wreath and Tree pattern

Post by MainelyMe » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:50 pm

If your pattern calls for you to cut width of fabric ( WOF ), it means you cut from selvage to salvage, which in most cases is from 40 to 45 inches across. I haven't seen a pattern that calls for you to cut it from one end to the other. That, of course, would make your cuts however long your piece is. I do sometimes cut several yards of fabric that way to use as borders that don't have seems.
Joan

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:18 pm

If that is the QIAD pattern, yes, they are full width strips. You can use scraps and fat quarters, just be sure to cut extra.

That pattern us fun to make. I have made several and taught the class as well.

Jana

mellomayking

Post by mellomayking » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi Conniequilts. Yes, most patterns call for fabric strips to be cut from selvedge to selvedge.

Have fun!

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”