Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Machine Quilting/Locking Stitch Question

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
davejack

Machine Quilting/Locking Stitch Question

Post by davejack » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:28 am

My Log Cabin Book tells me, when beginning to machine quilt a line of "stitch in the ditch" stitching, to start off with a few stitches, back stitch over what I just stitched, and then proceed with the sewing and to end the line of sewing with the same kind of back stitching method. This is, of course, to secure the thread from loosening and unraveling, over time. In essence, I am stitching over the same spot 3 times when using this method.

My new sewing machine has a lock stitch feature, with which it will sew in place, four or five stitches over the same point.

I would like to know if the locking stitch is sufficent to really lock the stitching in place. Or should I do it with the back stitching as the book recommends. The locking stitch certainly looks better than the backstitch because it doesn't show up as much. It looks cleaner.

The book I am referencing is Eleanor's "Quilt in a Day Log Cabin" book and I'm guessing there wasn't such a locking feature on sewing machines when that book was written.

Just wanted to get some opinions on this matter. Thanks much

Dave

MainelyMe

Re: Machine Quilting/Locking Stitch Question

Post by MainelyMe » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:43 pm

Dave, my machine doesn't have the locking stitch yours has so I make mine do basically the same thing by using a very small stitch length for about 4-5 stitches, then going to the regular stitch length. I do that at the beginning and end to lock it in place. I would bet that is just what your locking stitch does.
Joan

purrfect-lady

Re: Machine Quilting/Locking Stitch Question

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:37 am

My locking stitch works fine so I don't have to backstitch to lock a seam in place.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”