Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

day and night quilt

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
craftaddict

day and night quilt

Post by craftaddict » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:21 am

I bought the book with the ruler a while ago and have watched the video a few times. I finally got around to want to make it and have chosen the lap, four strip, three fabric one. It seems strange to me that I need 3 times as many 2" strips in dark than I do in light. Looking at the quilt it looks like the two colors are more or less equal. Is this just an impression?

Regards,
Joanne

auntjana

Re: day and night quilt

Post by auntjana » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:49 am

Joanne,

I just taught this class at my LQS.

First - all of the books instructions are correct. I taught my class to put a post it note or flag on the page of your choice of colors for your quilt. This will help lessen any confusion. The strip counts are right. Just make sure you are on the right page each time.

Second - accuracy is very important. Cutting as well as sewing. Sew a test strip and check the accuracy of your 1/4 inch seam.

Third - you will have a blunted top on your triangles, this is right and aids in assembling the block. Invisagrip is very handy so your ruler doesn't slip as you are cutting.

I gave each class member a ziplock bag to keep their scraps in, the scraps are your bonus quilts and this is a way not to accidently throw them out.

All of the instructions are accurate and pressing works to make it a very easy quilt to make.

Take your time and you will have a beautiful quilt.

Jana

kho

Post by kho » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:22 pm

follow the instructions and read them several times and look at the pictures. This quilt is very worth making.

JayKay

Post by JayKay » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:04 am

This is a wonderful pattern, and although it looks complicated, if you follow he instructions, it is very easy. Your "scraps" are such a bonus and I was amazed at how they turned out. Keep with it, because it is very worthwhile and you will have a beautiful quilt.

Joyce

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”