Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Quilting Thread Breaking on FINISHED quilt!

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
lindyhopkins

Quilting Thread Breaking on FINISHED quilt!

Post by lindyhopkins » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi,
This is my first post, but I'm hoping to find someone who can help me. I am a semi-experienced quilter with a baffling problem. I have a finished scrap quilt that keeps snapping threads when it is adjusted in bed! If the quilt is pulled on in the least, a thread snaps.

The thread I used was a spool of Coats & Clark quilting thread from Wal-Mart. The quilt has cotton batting, and it definitely has some weight to it due to how many pieces it has. I quilted it with a combination of free-motion and straight stitching. At most the threads are 1.5 inches apart. I machine wash the quilt with cold water and dry it on low.

The thread tension was correct while I was quilting it. The problem started shortly after the quilt was finished.

I am assuming that my threads snapping are a result of the weight of the quilt? Do I need to use better thread? Any advice??

Thank you,
Stephanie

lindyhopkins

Re: Quilting Thread Breaking on FINISHED quilt!

Post by lindyhopkins » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:25 pm

To clarify, it was Coats & Clark machine quilting thread.

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:49 pm

I think it is the thread you used. If thread is old, it will snap easily as you have discribed. You really don't have any way of knowing how long it's been in the store before you bought it. The quality of the thread makes a big difference too. The weight of your quilt shouldn't be a factor. Coats and Clark thread has gotten better recently, but again, you don't know if the one you got is an older, less well made spool or not.
Sorry this has happened. Good luck.
Joan
I just thought of something else. How far apart did you make your quilting? Did you follow the manufacturing guidelines on the batting?

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:20 am

I am no expert on threads, but something did come to mind. Yes, threads do get old and will break, but look at some of the antique quilts, they are still in tack. So, could it be, that the material has a bit of stretch to it.

Remember when we would sew with a knit or something with a little give to it, we needed to put a slight zig-zag to our stitch to keep the seams from popping. Anytime there is stretch to a piece of material, it can cause the threads to pop.

???? Just something to ponder.

Velda
HUGS, đź’• Vel

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:05 am

Good question Stephanie.. WELCOME to our group, have you been reading the photos and sew in page yet? Lots to read when 1st begin, and learning to post pic via photobucket for myself a challenge. It is free..

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:57 am

I would guess that the thread you used was dry rotted. If you still have that spool, test it with your hands and see how easily it breaks.

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:41 am

Welcome Stephanie! My vote is bad thread.

Lyn

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:35 pm

could your tension on machine been to tight when you quilted it

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:57 am

Thread test on another piece of fabric.. It was my view also, age of thread.. Unless, your top thread is catching somewhere, but that would affect when you see..

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:02 pm

I know this is no help for now, but next quilt use different threads from different store and company. This way you can easily see if it's aging or just cheap stuff.

Another idea, as you hand stitch should you do slide thread on a wax blob designed for quilting stores sell them, but it is an old fashion now..

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”