Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Double Pinwheel & Whirligig

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
elaine851

Double Pinwheel & Whirligig

Post by elaine851 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:11 pm

Is there a difference between the double pinwheel block and whirligig? If so what is it? I cannot figure it out.

MainelyMe

Re: Double Pinwheel & Whirligig

Post by MainelyMe » Fri May 23, 2014 5:03 pm

Although depending on the positioning of your fabric they can look very much the same, there is a difference I can see. The whirligig is made up of four triangles that all point into the center, making a square. The double pinwheel is made up of eight triangles with sets of two together, making four squares that form the block. That's how it looks to me anyway.
Joan

gmaann

Re: Double Pinwheel & Whirligig

Post by gmaann » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:17 pm

The method is the same , they are just put together differently. And the Double Pinwheel book offers directions for two block sizes, 7" finished or 11" finished. The Whirligig is just 7" finished blocks - made after the Jelly Rolls were popular. If you compare the blocks from the 2 patterns, you will see that the Double Pinwheel has the small half square triangles in the middle of the block, and the Whirligig has them in the corners of the block. Both patterns are fun and easy to make, and the Whirligig pattern has two other projects for using up the rest of a Jelly Roll.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”