Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

restoring a quilt

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
GRAMIGRAN

restoring a quilt

Post by GRAMIGRAN » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:37 am

A friend has given me a very old and well used quilt to try and restore.
I know on a valuable quilt it is advised to try and follow original pattern and stitches as much as possible.
The backing is very ragged, I have started just removing the top from the back. It is all hand stitched. My question is do you think I should take apart block (about 20") and restore it block by block?

WeeOne

Re: restoring a quilt

Post by WeeOne » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:09 pm

Wow, really good question. I will be looking on for answers.
Lyn

Namarose

Post by Namarose » Sun May 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Check the seams to see how bad the stitches are. Might just restitch them and hand wash it always and laid it flat to dry. I'm thinking if it needs stitches. Redo it.

Katherine

MastiffGRANDMA

Post by MastiffGRANDMA » Thu May 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Someone gave me a double wedding ring quilt but it is just the top. It never was quilted. But it was washed and by doing so a lot of the seams got ripped. The fabric looks like it is from the 50tis. I just am not sure if it is worth my time to fix it since it never was finished. Any idea would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kathy

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”