Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

iron on applique

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
bearmaker51

iron on applique

Post by bearmaker51 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:47 am

I made a quilt, I've made many. I was making the same quilt for all my siblings. I got so proficient (I THOUGHT), that I wasn't paying any attention to how my pattern was laid out and started strip assembly.

Only months later, as I am taking a photo of it to send it to my sibling that it is meant for, did I see what I had done. The other 2 quilts before it were all different colors, as each sibling had chosen. This one was all black and white. Now, on all 20 blocks of this KING sized quilt, the pattern is not right. It's supposed to be a "heart" shape, inside white and then black borders and binding. But I used black pieces as well...and now the hearts don't look like hearts at all , so sad ! My sister says she still wants it...but I cannot let it go out of this house like this.

SO, all that to say, I thought I would applique better colors right on top of the wrong ones. Which will mean at least 4 pieces on every single block. I think this would be the fastest fix. But I've never done it, never used the iron on sew on turn right side out method....any help ? advice on a good brand of the paper-iron on product ? Thank you for any help at all !! Bearmaker51 :)

Marilynsgrammy

Re: iron on applique

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:42 pm

if you are using iron on fusible like heat N bond or wonder under make sure you iron it to the wrong side of the fabric so that when you take the paper backing off you can iron it onto your hearts... I wish I had a dollar for everytime I made that mistake..lol

also, I suggest putting an old towel on your iron board cover and also something between your iron and heat and bond.. I use an old scrap piece of fabric.. the sticky stuff, if it overlaps and touches your iron or board when heated will leave sticky stuff behind..

make sure to post a picture, I'd love to see it.
Psalm 91

MainelyMe

Re: iron on applique

Post by MainelyMe » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:40 pm

I have used every product out there (seriously ) and the only one I will use now or recommend is called Soft Fuse. It is a little more in price, but well worth it! Great for hand sewing or machine sewing.
You can find it many places on line, but the one I use is called Threads of Time.
Joan

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”