Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

missing quilt

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
tikki253

missing quilt

Post by tikki253 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:48 pm

I am new to quilting and i am trying to make the first block but i am having trouble getting the size and the seems to match i am using a 5 inch square but it doesn't measure 4 inches then everything is off i just don't get it please help i really enjoy El and want to do this quilt any suggestions on what my problem is
when i make my x and sew it seems to bunch up an doesn't lay flat so when i try to cut it the cut line is not straight so confused plzzzzzz help

Marilynsgrammy

Re: missing quilt

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:06 am

hi Tikki.

in the swap section of this forum is a thread on this block of the month... those gals may be more helpful.

have you watched the video?

have you checked your machine? perhaps your feed dogs are bunching things up?

I haven't tried the block yet but am hoping to tackle it this weekend... maybe I can be more help after I try it..
Psalm 91

scrapquilter48

Re: missing quilt

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:11 am

Oh boy, glad to hear from new quilter, such dilemma, for if anything can go wrong, I did it.. I tried the masking tape, 1/4 ruler, trace a line, paper Thangles, still things don't match..

Then, I purchased the paper piecing, bang on, and then X block, and Fly geese ruler, magic, on the nose.. Corners matched, no clue what happened.

Just took me years.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”