Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Dresden Plate Question

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
Susie

Dresden Plate Question

Post by Susie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:55 pm

I hope I can ask this clearly. I am working on appliqueing my plates onto muslin squares. The plates do not have the centers yet. I have heard where you can cut carefully and remove the muslin behind the plates so there is not so much bulk when I go to hand quilt. However, my question is....Do I sew on the centers of the plates while the muslin is still on or do I remove all the muslin and just sew the centers to the hole in the middle of the plate. One way and you would just have it all open in back...if I sew the middle on when the muslin is still in the back I would have to cut around the back of the plate and then again on the back of the center.That would be ok too. I hope this makes sense. I would just leave the muslin all on but I intend on doing this quilting by hand. Would it be too thick then to hand quilt? Anyone ever done this??? Thanks for your advice. Susie

FlorenceM

Re: Dresden Plate Question

Post by FlorenceM » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:12 am

I have made a Dresden Plate and I hand quilted it too. however I appliqued my plates onto a tone on tone background. I would sew my centers in then remove the muslin carefully. It will give you more stability this way when you sew in your centers. Hope this helps.

Susie

Post by Susie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Thanks Florence. I will just leave the muslin in until I finish the plates AND the centers. I appreciate your help!

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:58 am

keep me posted on how yours is going. Before you cut your good fabric use some scraps to try out the pattern and technique..Think of it as making a potholder. This way you can work the kinks out first.

Susie

Post by Susie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:54 am

Florence, I will try and keep you posted on mine. I am just working on it in the evenings. I have all my plates done and now am sewing them onto the muslin squares and then will sew the centers on. I think I will do sashing then and cornerstones and then hand quilt the whole thing. I used 1930's reproduction prints for the most part. I made two lap quilts the same way several years ago but I didn't remove the fabric behind the plates because I just did stitch in the ditch and meandering in the squares on my machine. They looked pretty good but this one I do want to all hand quilt. I like having some hand sewing to do in the evenings. Thanks again for your help.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:14 pm

This is how I made my Dresden plate, two same size circles, bottom one has a slit, turn inside out, plot in center and sew ie zigzag stitch all around, I don't think that is the right way, washed it many times and it hold real good. Then, had yard sale, thinking no one will buy. Would you know it that was their favorite. Now, its gone and I miss it...

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”