Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tips for machine quilting with metallic thread

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
nanaquilter1954

Tips for machine quilting with metallic thread

Post by nanaquilter1954 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:01 am

I recently finished making a Halloween quilt and I used the Sulky holographic thread, which has the same properties as metallic thread. When I first began, I got very frustrated because the thread would break after only minutes of sewing. After 12 attempts and many pulled out hairs, I stopped and decided I needed help.

The next day I went to Joann's and asked Joyce, the woman at the Viking Store, what I was doing wrong, or if there was something wrong with my machine. She told me it wasn't my machine and that metallic thread is very to work with. She told me to try using invisible thread (in the same needle) as the holographic thread and also to use a thread net. She suggested I put the thread in a vertical position, which helps minimize twisting that results in broken thread.

I went home and put the invisible thread in the secondary thread stand and carefully pulled through both threads, then holding my breath, I began quilting. It worked!! I was able to machine quilt with ease, but had to pay attention to my thread and pull it carefully whenever I completed a segment. The thread broke only once during four hours of quilting. The quilt is now finished and looks great!

This is a great example of how we quilters can help one another by our experiences. I hope this helps other machine quilters too!

[/img]

auntjana

Re: Tips for machine quilting with metallic thread

Post by auntjana » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:45 am

That quilt is adorable. I did learn many years ago that the are many metallics that you use a horizontal thread holder on your machine. That really helps with breakage.
Jana

mellomayking

Post by mellomayking » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Nanaquilter1954, this quilt is just too cute. Thanks for sharing your tips. I'll be sure to remember this!

Great job.

Mel

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:54 pm

The correct needle is very helpful also. Great work on your quilt.
Joan

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:40 pm

Thanks for the informative information Joan is also correct when she mentioned the correct size needle.

Thanks again.
Lois

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”