Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Making all the blocks come out right size

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
ollie1shoe

Making all the blocks come out right size

Post by ollie1shoe » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:22 pm

I am making a row of a quilt for a friend. Some of blocks are 8 1/2 inches some are 9 so how is the best way to get them all to end up being a 9 inch block and not look out of place in the row. All blocks are a different pattern most are paper pieced any good ideas would be appreciated

rosebud3

Re: Making all the blocks come out right size

Post by rosebud3 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:49 pm

Ollie try putting borders around the smaller blocks and square them up to the same size as your larger blocks. Hope this helps and will work out for you.

Mary/Rosebud

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks Mary I think that's how I will do it

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:35 am

Just my opinion may not apply in this case, try cutting off cue. Turn your square on slant idea.. They have rulers for this then would need to calculate the 7/8 triangle to join them.

lauralaura

Post by lauralaura » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:33 pm

I'm going to try Eb's log cabin strip method again. In the past, I've made quite a few, by the time I put the second dark on, the blocks are different sizes. I've checked the strip width, my 1/4" seam and they have been accurate. I end up working it out by squaring down to the smallest size. A lot of measuring and work! Has anyone had this issue? I am cutting from selvage to selvage and am careful not to stretch. Cutting all the pieces to size (Marti Mitchell's rulers and method is confusing to me, and seems like more time than I have. Thanks for any help!

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Lauralauara I had that problem 1 time, but figured out I had left off the last strip, LOL, making my square more rectangle than square. Good luck working it out.

Mary/Rosebud

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”