Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

ironing seams flat

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
momof6quilts

ironing seams flat

Post by momof6quilts » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:54 am

I am seeing more and more quilters ironing their seams flat instead of to one side. Is this the new trend in quilting? What are your thoughts?

I don't quilt this way but it does seem to make more since, it would make for a much flatter quilt.

Vicky

FavoriteGrandma

Re: ironing seams flat

Post by FavoriteGrandma » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:38 am

I think I seen somewhere that you couldn't stitch in the ditch if you did them flat. I usually do mine to one side too.....Am curious how others do them now also!
Becky

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:15 am

I press mine to the side. I know I have heard where there are times when it is best to press open, but the seam in general is stronger when pressed to one side. I don't see any need to change unless there is a specific need to press open.

Mary/Rosebud

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:13 pm

I believe there are times when it makes sense to press them open, but most of the time it makes more sense to me not to. You want the seams to be strong. Especially since they are only a 1/4 inch seams,, it makes me believe pressing to one side is still the way to go.
I haven't come acrossed any teachers saying they should be pressed open. Where have you seen or heard that? I'm just curious.

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:48 pm

Every once in a while I see where someone is pressing the seams open but that is rear and they seam to tell you to make stiches tighter when you do this but I would only do this when needed .

Lois

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:26 pm

I had one speaker at a guild meeting who pressed open her seams. I tried it, found it frustrating,but did not notice any difference in my finished topper.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”