Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

How wide to make binding?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
Mazzie

How wide to make binding?

Post by Mazzie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi! I see there is a video on how to bind but how wide do I cut the strips to make the binding? Does the width vary depending on the size of the quilt or is there like a standard width. I have terrible time binding. Usually I sew with my Mom and best friend and I have several UFO's basically not bound. I made something all on my own without a pattern and I want to finish it to surprise them both. It's not a big thing about 6x10 But I'm stuck on how wide! Thanks a bunch in advance!

MainelyMe

Re: How wide to make binding?

Post by MainelyMe » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:12 pm

Do you mean 6 inches by 10 inches? Or 6 feet by 10 feet? When I do a mini ( inches ) I use a single fold binding that I cut at 1 1/4 inches. But most quilts are larger quilts that I cut the binding at 21/4 inches. That is pretty universally used with all the quilters I know. I fold it in half and iron it, then you are working with 11/8 inches wide. Sew a quarter inch seam on the front to attach the binding stopping at each corner 1/4 inch from the end. Fold your corner and sew the next side. Once it's completely sewn on, fold it over to the back of the quilt and hand sew it in place. The binding will be about a 1/4 inch on each side of the quilt. Hope this helps.

Mazzie

Post by Mazzie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:47 am

This is a mini so in inches. Thank you!

Nadine2007

Post by Nadine2007 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:29 pm

I ususally cut mine 2 1/2" I just like having a little extra to work with. I do sew all of mine on by machine I'm sure that make's a difference. I sew it on the back of the quilt first then sew it down in the front. Bev

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:10 am

For minis I use a 2 inch binding, for flannel quilts I use a 3 inch binding, all other quilts I use a standard 2 1/2 inch binding.

grannysparlor

Post by grannysparlor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:51 pm

Does anyone know how to make a binding with different colors added together? How do I add them together, how wide?
Thanks it is going on a table runner. It is fabric I have left over.
Thanks
Pat Callaway

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 pm

grannyspalor--I make bindings with the leftover fabrics used in the quilted item a lot. I just cut my pieces the same width as usual and sew them together on the diagonal. I think it makes it a stronger joining. Then press them in half and sew on. You can make them all the same length or all different lengths. It looks nice I think.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”