Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Hand quilting

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
gabriele.cheno

Hand quilting

Post by gabriele.cheno » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:26 am

Hi I am new to this and hope I can learn some tricks here. I am a hand quilter. I do a lot of appliqué quilting. Does anyone have a idea how to put a quilt pattern around the appliqué. I am a little nervous that I would mess up my quilt. Thanks

rosebud3

Re: Hand quilting

Post by rosebud3 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:20 pm

gabby, you can run your quilting stitches around the outside about a 1/4" to 1/8" away from your applique. It will help make your applique pop.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you come back often. Be sure to check out the sew-in and other areas within the community.

Mary/Rosebud

gabriele.cheno

Post by gabriele.cheno » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:38 am

Thank you Mary I will check in every day and hope to make some quilting friends here.

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:12 am

I usually follow the applique design,or shadow it, however I have seen applique quilts done in an all over design, and it looked fabulous!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:36 am

Hi Gabriel, welcome to the forum..

you can make a practice piece to see how your quilting will look.. make it into a pot holder.. on a practice piece you can try many different things.. all on one project...

I use a blanket stitch.. some use a satin or zig zag.. or a blind hem stitch.. so many possibilities..

come to the sew in and introduce yourself..you will love it.

Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:03 am

Gabby--I agree with Mary/Rosebud--I like to quilt around my applique about 1/8 to 1/4" from the applique in the background.

I also agree with Chriss to try a block or partial block and make it into a pot holder or toss pillow. You could also photocopy your block and draw some designs around your appliques to audition the designs. I usually mark my fabrics with a stencil using a washaway marking pen. I haven't tried the new Frixon pens but have heard excellent things from them.

I hope you will come to the SewIn and let's get acquainted!!! Did you experience climate shock moving from Germany to Ft. Bliss Texas?

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”