Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Cutting lines on my mat

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
ollie1shoe

Cutting lines on my mat

Post by ollie1shoe » Thu May 30, 2013 3:48 pm

I have a large cutting Matt but the 1 inch line has faded out so from cutting in same line so often. Is there any good way to refurbish the white line so I can see it better
I sure hate to replace it because that is the only thing that looks worn out about it

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Cutting lines on my mat

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri May 31, 2013 1:47 am

I had the same problem Glenda and finally used a JoAnn's coupon to replace my mat.. I use my old mat for cutting batting and such... so if you find something to mend the groove cut into the mat let me know.
Psalm 91

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri May 31, 2013 10:06 am

You might try using the markings on your ruler instead of your mat. That way you can cut from anywhere on that mat.

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Fri May 31, 2013 1:54 pm

It just seemed a waste to replace it with it still working good except the white lines are hard to see from cutting in the same place to often I think surely there is something I could refresh the lines with I just can't think of the right stuff to use thought about white out you no the stuff to white out writing maybe it would show up white on the green

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Fri May 31, 2013 4:10 pm

How about renumbering it yourself with a sharpie pen? Just black out the numbers there and starting where two or three was, mark it with a one and go on from there.
Joan

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:42 am

I never use the markings on the mat for cutting. Using your ruler as Cindyg said, makes it so you could cut from anywhere on the mat.

Also, makes your mat last longer, as you do not over work any one spot.

Also, I find that my cuts are way more accurate.

I use my smaller ruler to measure the width, and place my large ruller right up againt the smaller one, then cut using my larger ruler as the guide. Does that make any sense? Don't know how to explain, but basicly it like a carpenter who uses a "square" to get it cut marked exactly for a wood project.

Velda
HUGS, đź’• Vel

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks for the replys. Guess it just the easier way to use the lines on mat to cut with but looks like I need to learn using the 2 rulers

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:46 am

Would nail polish be an idea? Just an idea of the cuff may not be good.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”