Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

I get ripples in my quilts

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
JanTay

Re: I get ripples in my quilts

Post by JanTay » Sun May 19, 2013 9:30 pm

The first quilt I did, I cut my border the width I needed and made it longer than my quilt and just sewed it on and cut the excess. It was a wavy mess!!! Learned then to measure each side and average the difference. I find the center point and pin from there, and I use lots of pins!

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Tue May 21, 2013 5:01 am

I always measured the vertically across the middle and on each side, then took the average of all 3 measurements. I repeat horizontally. This way if 1 side is bigger or smaller than the other-even fractionally- I can ease it in evenly.

dforseth

Post by dforseth » Thu May 30, 2013 12:34 pm

The cross grain of the fabric will stretch more than the length wise grain. I ust my borders the length and have less trouble Than used to. The bonus is no seams in my borders.
Debbie

Edited for spelling
Debbie Forseth
:D

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”