Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Adding hanger envelope onto the back of wall hanging

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
T2illy

Adding hanger envelope onto the back of wall hanging

Post by T2illy » Wed May 08, 2013 8:17 am

I little advice please. I have made 2 wall hangings. The first wall hanging I used the same weight of material ( 100% cotton) and didn't have a problem.

The second I backed the wall hanging with flannel, a big mistake. The material was too thick and as I made the envelope with the same material the result was very bulky. We live and learn!

I am struggling, help!

When is it best to attach the the means in which to hang wall hanging up? What do others use to do the job? I can not hand sew due to illness. T.

FlorenceM

Re: Adding hanger envelope onto the back of wall hanging

Post by FlorenceM » Thu May 09, 2013 5:25 am

I do not remember the name but there is a hanger assembly made from wood clamps that require no loop on back. I saw it at a quilt show last summer in southern California.

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Fri May 10, 2013 5:25 am

check out the easy display wall hanger. web address:
easydisplayquilthangar.com

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon May 13, 2013 3:35 am

When I sew on a hanging sleeve, I make the sleeve first, hemming the ends of it. Then I sew it on when I sew on the binding, catching the rough edges of the sleeve in the binding. Then I hand sew the bottom of the sleeve down. I don't let the sleeve lay flat but give it about 1/2 of slack so when I insert the rod, it doesn't distort the quilt as it hangs.

T2illy

Post by T2illy » Mon May 13, 2013 10:26 am

Thank you so much for the tips. Sometimes when you are struggling you can't think!!! I will try your method purrfect-lady and certainly check out the hanger assembly. T.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:48 am

Ammie Simms has quilt site, online demos, one is your sleeve. I play it over and over on video tape, when she had show on PBS.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”