Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

removing a stains

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
T2illy

removing a stains

Post by T2illy » Wed May 01, 2013 3:48 am

Any suggestions about removing a tiny stain on a finished wall hanging, apart from take out offending piece please?

I don't know where it came from, unless it was from the iron, so have no idea what type of stain it is.

I am a beginner and haven't got to the stage where I would take out a square, of a made up piece, without thinking about it, that's if you have the material to replace it of course.

Is it easier to remove a stain from washed fabric or unwashed?

I was amazed while looking through posts that most of you wash your fabric before using it. It has never occured to me.

MainelyMe

Re: removing a stains

Post by MainelyMe » Wed May 01, 2013 3:55 am

Have you tried just a little water on a cloth? Sometimes that's all you need. If that doesn't do it, what about using one of the small stain remover sticks you can buy?
Hope you get I out.
Joan

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed May 01, 2013 6:16 am

Grandma's Secret Spot Remover it is sold here on QIAD it is wonderful and works too!

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Wed May 01, 2013 1:33 pm

If the stain wion't come out, you can try disguising it with an embellishment!

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Fri May 03, 2013 12:35 pm

I just had red bleed onto white fabric on a near-finished quilt (both fabrics had been pre-washed---WTH?).

Thought about trying to remove it with tears---whaaaaah! Local fabric store said to "just start trying different things". I figured what the heck and pulled out a bottle of Folex (carpet and upholstery stain remover). Put the piece on a stack of dry paper towels. Sprayed the area w/ Folex. Blotted for several minutes with more paper towels. Soaked the area w/ water from a spray bottle...and the stain was gone.

Thank goodness something worked--! My first tumbler quilt could have been toast otherwise!

Carole

T2illy

Post by T2illy » Wed May 08, 2013 8:03 am

Thank you for the suggestions. will definately try them. Not sure I'd have have the courage to try carpet cleaner though but when desperate we try anything I suppose. T.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”