Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Triangles to Squares

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
zzaped

Re: Triangles to Squares

Post by zzaped » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:21 am

I have a very thin ruler that is designed with a line down the center from one end of it to the other. On both sides of the center line is 1/4" of plastic. So you position the ruler diagonally from one corner to the the other with the line precisely on each corner. Then draw a line down each side of the ruler. Then sew on the lines. Use rotary cutter or scissors and cut between the lines. Mine come out very good that way. I have one ruler that is 12" and one that is about 6". I have found this is as fast or faster for me than drawing the one line down the middle and then worrying about getting the squares exactly 1/4" from the line I've drawn.

I've also seen Half Square Triangle Units made by taking two squares of fabric the same size, putting them RS to RS and then sewing all around the perimeter of the square. Then cut a diagonal line from one corner to the other. Cut again diagonally between the other two corners and you have Four Half Square Triangle Units.

I hope I explained the processes so you can understand them, I am new at this so forgive me if I didn't.
Patti

scrapquilter48

Re: Triangles to Squares

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:40 am

Networking helps, as for photo-pics I have posted before and can seem to get it to work, not a good guide for that, good luck!

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”