Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Set the seam?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
Daherron

Set the seam?

Post by Daherron » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:19 pm

I am new to quilting and started the Fish block. After drawing a diagonal line across my body squares and sewing 1/4" seam on each side of line, the directions say set the seams? Is that just a term for back-stitching to lock the stitches? Thanks, I'm just learning so please be kind ... :)

MainelyMe

Re: Set the seam?

Post by MainelyMe » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:21 pm

It has always meant to me to iron it. My first quilting teacher told me that the heat from the iron " set the seam ".

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:19 am

Daherron, we have all been beginners. First, I'd like to say welcome. Like MainelyMe said, setting the seam is pressing the seam before opening up the block. It's like embedding the threads in the fabric. Good luck, and come back often. There is no better place to network and learn than on this forum.

Mary/Rosebud

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 am

To set the seam is to press it don't iron it that is push the iron hard down on it like you are getting out stubborn wrinkles -just a gentle motion that way you won't stretch your piece.
Threads will shrink into place and behave!
Welcome!!
Jana

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”