Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Making squares with triangles

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
CSue

Making squares with triangles

Post by CSue » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:24 am

Though I saw a video on how to make a square using to triangles that looked very easy, one that you could make several at a time. Can not find now, does anyone know an easy way to do this.
CSue

rosebud3

Re: Making squares with triangles

Post by rosebud3 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:23 am

After work and church I will see if I can find the video. If I don't find it right away, hang in there. Others will be along that should be able to help, too.

Mary/Rosebud

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:31 am

I'm looking for instructions on how to make your blocks. I do have a question though. are you wanting to cut the triangles out first then sew them together or do you want to make the one where you cut your squares, sew them togehter. and cut down the middle giving you two half square triangles at the same time?

Mary/Rosebud

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:14 am

Okay, I know there are more videos that show how to do this, but if you go to the media theater here on quilt in a day and find the group Tales of the first Ladies, the January Block Party video has this type of block shown being sewn. Good luck.

Mary/Rosebud

sidesaddles

Post by sidesaddles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:00 pm

I think you are looking for a video on YouTube by Missouri Star Quilt Co that uses the tube method. You sew two strips together use triangle ruler by sliding up and down the strip to cut.

Pat in NM

try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUWnh ... tailpage[b][/b]

kho

Post by kho » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:58 am

Hi Sue, Are you talking about making half square triangles? There is a formula that you take the FINISHED size of the square you want and mutliply it by itself and add 3. So if the finished size is 2 inches, you mutliply it by 2 and that is 4 and add 3 inches for seam allowances. Then put right sides of fabric together and draw an x and a + on the back of one piece. Sew 1/4 inch from both lines on the x only then cut along the x and the plus and that should give you several hst's at once.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”