Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

is this in els book

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
ollie1shoe

is this in els book

Post by ollie1shoe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:00 am

my daughter in law is wanting to make a lap quilt and wanted to make it with out binding cant remember what this quilt turning is but wondered if its in one of els books that i have so i could let her borrow it i know you layer it and then turn it maybe she called it birthing a quilt just trying to encourage daughter in law and thought if she saw it in book she would be incouraged

Marilynsgrammy

Re: is this in els book

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:08 pm

hi Glenda... don't know if this method is in an El's book... but if you use a search engine like Google or Bing type in birthing a quilt you will have so many how to's you won't know which one to pick... I recently used this method for my granddaughters quilt... it was quick and easy...

hope it works for your DIL.

Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Nadine2007

Post by Nadine2007 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:00 am

Hi Glenda I just looked in my books and it's in the Rail Fence Quilt Book from quilt in a day. Do you have that book? If not I will look some more I have several books. Bev

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:04 am

Glenda, it is called "Quick Turn". You can find the directions in a lot of El's older books. The method is pretty simple. you stitch the quilt top and backing together, leaving a 36" opening on one side. Then spread the sewn quilt top/backing out and lay your batting on top of it. Begin rolling the quilt and batting jellyroll style, on each corner towards the 36" opening. You then "birth" the quilt by popping the rolled quilt through the 36" opening and pop it out. Then shake it out. You will need to hold the batting in place as you shake. You can then stitch in the ditch around the borders or just tie the quilt. I used to have my family all help me "birth" my quilts.

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 am

I do have the rail fence book and also just googled it. Just what I was looking for I thought if my daughter in law could see it in print right in front of her she would understand it better. Thanks everyone

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:40 am

Linda. Quick turn was the term or title I was trying to remember. It just left my mind all I could think of was birthing a quilt but knew it was called something else also

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:57 pm

Glenda, I do that too! I can't think of a term that I need and it drives me batty! Glad to be of help.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”