Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

EPP Question (English Paper Piecing)

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
mellomayking

EPP Question (English Paper Piecing)

Post by mellomayking » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Trying to gather some tips/tricks as I am about to dive in to Hexies! I just received my order of 3/4" hexies from Paper Pieces today and am very excited to get started.

1. Do you prefer to stitch through the paper? I have watched several different tutes and everyone seems to do it a little differently....

2. What size/type needle do you prefer? I have just about zero experience with any type of "hand" work so I don't have a clue.

I greatly appreciate any and all advice/tips you would care to offer!

Thanks a bunch,
Mel

grammiequilts

Re: EPP Question (English Paper Piecing)

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:19 pm

I baste through the paper it keeps the fabric from slipping....when joining the hexxies just barely catch the fabric and not the paper....(although sometimes I get the paper.) 6 to 10 stitches per inch minimum. If you don't stitch the paper when you remove the basting the paper pieces are reusable. I usually don't reuse them though cause I make my own and make a zillion. Any needle you can use comfortably....I use sharps and for basting I use junk thread...for sewing I use a neutral thread....It is an addiction so be careful...I now find I have them in zip bags all over the place...

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Judi,
That is the way I am doing it as well. If you find a needle easy to thread go for it! I don't even knot my thread for basting through the paper.
Carol

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:00 am

I do it just like Carol and Judi.. I use up thread from bobbins for basting... and for putting the hexi's together I use alot of tight close together stitches.. keeps the neutral thread from showing through to the top.. it took me a few times to get good at it...

when you sew together a group of hexi's don't remove the paper right away from the outer row of hexi's.. wait till you are going to sew it to a background block or to more hexi's to keep your basted seam allowance down.. does that make sense? the papers are what gives you a seam allowance...

Exodus 33:14

mellomayking

Post by mellomayking » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks for your input, ladies!

Mel

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”