Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

1/4 inch seams and squaring up fabric help

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
TeresaK

Re: 1/4 inch seams and squaring up fabric help

Post by TeresaK » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:48 am

I agree with El - No one can sew a perfect 1/4" seam.
I have a Janome 6600 which enables me to move my needle. I move it over to 5.9 to 6.1
I think the biggest thing to look at is ... after you sew the sections are they the right size for them to be sewn into a block. Some patterns out there want you to sew a SCANT 1/4" seam.
So when you start a sample square of your block you want make your adjustments here. Look to the measurement of your seam and then to the block.

The other thing to look at is the thickness of your thread. This is huge as it will take up another fiber of your fabric if it is thicker than another thread type.

Tip: I always start with a scant 1/4" first. It is easier to sew a seam next to it than have to take out.

When i cut my fabric I can always see the fabric on the edge of the line of the ruler. It is always a good idea to give yourself the extra fiber or two especially if you are using a thicker thread. You can always trim up your sections when you finish them. Better a tad bigger than to small.

ENJOY!!!!

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”