Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

1/4 inch seams and squaring up fabric help

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
Texas

1/4 inch seams and squaring up fabric help

Post by Texas » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:03 pm

I need help! I have tried everything to get a perfect 1/4 inch seam. I mark the seam on the right of the foot, I pin I measure and sew then measure again and when I am done I still don't have a perfect 1/4 inch seam. I even bought a new sewing machine my old one was just impossible to sew a straight seam on. New one is better, but can't get a perfect square to save my life. Any poinyers would be appreciated.Really Frustrated
Thanks
Judy aka Texas

MainelyMe

Re: 1/4 inch seams and squaring up fabric help

Post by MainelyMe » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:35 am

Judy, do you use 1/4 inch sewing foot on your machine? That is a big help, as you just line the fabric up so it is right on the edge of the foot. One other thing you could try is making a line on the machine with painters tape several layers thick, that the fabric lays up against as you feed it into the machine.
Joan

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Judy, no one, I mean no one sews a perfect 1/4 seam all the time. I have seen Eleanor ask her classes many times how many can sew a perfect 1/4" seam and when people raise their hands she always says "No you don't!" I agree with Joan that the Quarter Inch foot really helps. You can also use Dr. Scholls Mole Skin on your plate to keep your fabric from moving over if you don't have a 1/4" foot. If you are sewing Eleanor's patterns, they are very forgiving. She allows for human error and lets us "square up" our blocks. The best advice I can give you is what I learned from Eleanor: quilting is supposed to be fun! Don't stress about perfection, just enjoy making your quilt. In most cases, only you will know if there is an error in your quilt. In the old days they used to put obvious errors in their quilts, saying that only God can make perfection. Enjoy your quilting passion and don't worry about being perfect!
Linda

Nadine2007

Post by Nadine2007 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:03 pm

I just got a email from Janome they have a new 1/4" accurate foot I can't wait to check it out.

Texas

Post by Texas » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Thank you Ladies! You have helped me so much just being able to read this forum. I do have a 1/4 inch foot. I am not sure who posted in one of these areas about the scant 1/4 inch seam. That helped me more than anything. The pattern I am sewing calls for 1/4 inch but it just would not square up to that 9 and 1/2 inch block and I was about crazy and ready to throw in the towel until I read that. I have rather bad eyesight, and even with the 1/4 inch foot it was not perfect and my block was way off, not square. So I started all over even recutting my strips and pieces, and began sewing really slow making sure to do the scant 1/4 inch seam and PRAISE the LORD my blocks were 9.5 square! I just have to be very careful and keep my seams as straight as I can and it works and my new machine has wonderful tenion, that was also a problem, with my old worn out cheap machine. So for now I am ok and I really LOVE ALL of the groups and the discussions on here.
Thanks again.
Judy

T2illy

Post by T2illy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:09 am

Judy thank you so much for asking the question that has been driving me mad and also for Linda who says chill. I despare sometimes as I feel as if I am pushing a supermarket trolly side ways whilst trying to get a 1/4in seam. I do have a 1/4in foot, infact I have 2 but I find sometimes the material slips and catches on the feed dogs. I continue to have fun whilst trying to improve.

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:57 pm

My big question is where does the line go...outside of the stitch or the inside? Same question when cutting with the rotary cutter. Do you put the line of the ruler on the inside or outside of cut edge?

buckleville

Post by buckleville » Mon May 06, 2013 11:18 am

I need help to learn how to square up my quilt blocks. Is there a online video that demonstrates this? thanks for any help

JanTay

Post by JanTay » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:40 pm

My quarter inch foot has a guide that keeps the fabric in place, not all of them do. If yours doesn't, buy one of those vinyl strips you can measure and stick to hold your fabric in place to get the quarter inch,

nanaquilter1954

Post by nanaquilter1954 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:13 pm

I saw a trick that works. Take a sticky note pad and place it 1/4" from your needle's center position. The thickness of the sticky note keeps your fabric from moving over and the sticky bottom keeps it in place. Even if you use a 1/4" foot, your seams will NOT always be 1/4"! I agree with what they said, don't worry about it too much, but there are times when you really do need accuracy to keep your seams aligned.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”