Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Care and cleaning of quilts

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
judyquilts

Care and cleaning of quilts

Post by judyquilts » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Care of a quilt. Could someone tell me how to care for a quilt? I have been told to not have them dry cleaned as chemicals are too harsh. Would you wash them in a large machine such as one at a laundromat? I just gave a king size to our Military son and his wife. Please help.

Judy

MainelyMe

Re: Care and cleaning of quilts

Post by MainelyMe » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Judy, I would NEVER dry clean it. I have two methods I have used depending on the size or how delicate the quilt is. I have a large capacity front loading washing machine that can handle even a king size quilt. I wash it with a special quilt soap, in warm, not hot, water on delicate cycle. If you use regular washing machine soap, use only a tiny amount. The worse thing you can do is end up with a sudsy quilt. After the wash is finished I put it in the dryer for a few minutes on the no or low heat cycle. This doesn't dry it, it kind of fluffs it a bit. Then I use a rack to hang it over to dry, changing the position a few times during the drying.
The other way I have done it is to use the bathtub. Fill it with water, add a bit of machine soap, then add the quilt and kind of push the water through it. Drain the water and rinse with clean water. I dry the same as above.
I hope this helps you. Good luck.
Joan

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:52 am

I would also buy the color catcher sheets so that if there is a color in it that might run then it won't spread to the other fabrics in the quilt.

Lois

judyquilts

Post by judyquilts » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:11 am

Thank you very much. I bought her some quilt soap and will get a color catcher too. From New Mexico to Maine I thank you.

Hugs Judy

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:26 pm

I have prewashed fabric made the quilt and then washed and dried it in the washer and dryer,,,,no problems....Good cotton fabric in a quilt is no different than a shirt ...or skirt....Of course this doesn't apply to antiques with aged delicate fabric....

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”