Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

quilting foot

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
quiltingangel

quilting foot

Post by quiltingangel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:19 pm

I recently talked with a quilter who told me she quilts her own quilts using a 'loose foot'. Has anyone ever heard of this? If so, what is it? Thanks!

MainelyMe

Re: quilting foot

Post by MainelyMe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:05 pm

Does she mean a WALKING FOOT? They are a loose moving foot and used for some quilting. I use mine for stitch-in-the-ditch quilting.
Joan

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 am

I think that may mean the 'darning foot'. It doesn't actually sit tightly on the fabric, making it easier to move the quilt around when you are doing 'free motion quilting'. It usually looks like a little circle and the needle goes down in the middle of it. Sometimes the circle is open at the front, so it is easier to see where you are going.

I am TERRIBLE at free motion quilting, so I hope someone will explain this better than I have!

quiltingangel

Post by quiltingangel » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:18 am

Hi gmaann, that sounds like exactly what she was explaining to me. Thank you so much. I think you did a great job of explaining it. Thanks to Joan, also. Happy New Year to all.

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:55 pm

I just thought of something else I should have mentioned: I think when you do free motion quilting, you also lower the feed dogs on your machine. That makes it even easier to move the quilt around.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:32 am

Darning foot, need to lower feed dogs, and it moves according to what your hands dictate. Good for stippling, you know the scribbles all over, in different waves and turns.. You can follow a stencil line say a heart shape or vine, remember your hands do the moving...

Then, walking foot, excellent for stitch in ditch, forward/back motion, the machine controls, and feed dogs pull all three layers equally.

In MB walking foot cost $70.00 + and darning foot is a circle costing $21.00. My estimation darning foot has the grooves that will loosen in time.

I'm at that stage learning to master darning foot.

QUODDYNLILLYMOM

Post by QUODDYNLILLYMOM » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:53 am

Just saw this post. She could have been using a darning spring which looks like a little cage .I had one years ago ,but then found the spring needle. They are not cheap,but they are nice . I dp like the newer darning foot which has a spring. Do not use the embroidery foot which is solid. The walking foot is good for keeping layers even in straight line quilting as well as for sewing slippy items in regular sewing...be sure to adjust your needle size to a 14 microtex sharp.Happy sewing and quilting!

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat May 31, 2014 2:29 am

Just discovered a disadvantage to darning foot, if my hands move from proper position they have no protection and left hand fingers get caught up in the needle position, dangerous.. Almost got my fingers stabbed by the needle. Imagine trying to explain to the doctor what happened.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:25 am

MainleyMe what do you use when you mend say your denim jeans? It's called darning foot.. Walking foot best, but darning is what I could afford for the time. Usually, it comes with the machine. Mine was such a low price that had to purchase feet separately. Every Xmas I treat myself to a new foot..

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”