Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Pressing Pinwheel block

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
eadrake

Pressing Pinwheel block

Post by eadrake » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:36 am

I am trying to make a pinwheel block out of 4 - 5" squares. I've marked, sewed and cut the squares into 1/2 square triangles. When I sew the blocka together I get a lump of fabric in the center where the points come together. Help!

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Pressing Pinwheel block

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:47 pm

go to the top of this page and click on free pattern.. open the merry go round block pattern... if you go to the third page of the instructions for this block it shows you how to un-sew a thread or two..

the back of your block will look like a very mini pin wheel....

it's really cool the way it works... hope it works for your lumps...

Chriss
Psalm 91

TooMuchFabric

Post by TooMuchFabric » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:31 am

I also have been known to use a rubber malet and magazines after I have pressed and pressed and still had a lump. I just removed the bulk with the malet.

morgans4

Post by morgans4 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:38 am

Once you've unclipped a thread or two, press the 4 seams all different directions so it looks like it spins. It will then lie nice and flat.

BeckyMSQC

Post by BeckyMSQC » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:37 am

I have found this to be a very quick and easy way to make pinwheels. I hope this helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYpJzHoW6E&feature=plcp

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”