Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Binding for Scalloped Border?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
SMLane

Binding for Scalloped Border?

Post by SMLane » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:33 am

I love the Scalloped Border, and it is really easy using the Template, but I'm wondering how to calculate how long I need to make my Bias Binding piece to have enough to go all the way around. Does anyone have a 'magic formula' they have, or an amount (percentage?) they add to a 'straight border' calculation to come up with a good number for Scalloped Border?
Thanks!

auntjana

Re: Binding for Scalloped Border?

Post by auntjana » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:06 am

I don't know any easy tricks - but this works for me

Use a regular tape measure - turn it on it's side and measure around the scallops - usually I do two to get a reasonable number - then count hour many scallops you have through the entire quilt - then divide the number of scallops by two - and then multiply that number by the first measurement you did - I know it sounds confusing - but it is really easy

if your measurement around 2 scallops is 20 inches --
and you have 20 scallops - divide by 2 equals 10 pairs of scallops x 20 inches - means you need 200 inches of binding to go all the way around - I always add extra binding just to make sure - usually about 20 inches -

Be sure to cut your binding on the bias as you will be going around curves.

Hope you figure it out
Jana

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”