Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

flying geese methods

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
tnwaltz1

flying geese methods

Post by tnwaltz1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:28 am

I found this pattern in quiltmaker from several years ago. It called for 3 colors of fabric, and I happened to have it on hand. When I got into working on the pattern, it had a star center block which was a flying geese block. I struggled as I am used of doing the EB flying geese method. This was cutting squares , adding on the corneredge of a rectangle and sewing diagonally and cutting. Did not come out to great. Some where some place I thought Eleanor had measurements to make different size geese using her method. Does anyone know where or in what book they might be.
Thanks

kenderosa

Re: flying geese methods

Post by kenderosa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:43 am

If you go to the top of this page and click on free patterns, she has all her Flying Geese rulers listed and the directions on makin the different size blocks. Hope this helps.

Sue

quiltforum

Post by quiltforum » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:24 pm

I think I found what you are looking for go to customer service at the top of this page click on it then click on free pattern then view complementary yardage and projects from QIAD book/patterns then look under instructions for rulers. The flying geese ruler directions are there. hope this helps

quiltforum

Post by quiltforum » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:33 am

I found this for you today also go to the top of this page and click on Television and Video then scroll down you can watch the online vide demonstrations of the:
Flying Geese Ruler
Fussy Cut Ruler
Triangle Square up ruler
Scallop vines and waves template
Binding

BARNSRGR8

Post by BARNSRGR8 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:13 am

I am making small flying geese for Barn quilt and having a hard time. I get through #16 on page 28 of the barn book, but when it's time to cut the geese block in half, there is never 1/4 inch left at the top between the geese, so I can't cut it in half without destroying one of the geese. (i.e., the points of the geese meet instead of being slightly separated) I have tried it 6 times, sometimes making the parallel space between the two triangles greater (page 27 #9), but it doesn't make a difference. (The larger geese work out fine.) Is there some trick to this? Have looked at the video, it appears all the geese are made the same way, no matter the size. Any suggestions? Thanks!

BARNSRGR8

Post by BARNSRGR8 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Many thanks to 'quiltforum' and 'kenderosa'--even though you had already given this advice to a previous user, I was able to print off the flying geese directions that you recommended and they solved my problem! They are probably the same directions as are in the Barn Quilt book, but there was something about the diagram that helped me see the mistake I was making (over and over again)! So thank you, thank you! Laura

quiltforum

Post by quiltforum » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:03 pm

Your Welcome!

quiltangel333

Post by quiltangel333 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:03 am

I need to make flying geese that finish at 3 1/2" X 6 1/2" I have tried adding the 1 1/2 inch twice and for some reason still cannot get it to come out at the 6 1/2 width. Can someone give me the correct sizes the large and small blocks need to be please?

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:50 am

Fly geese is a challenge, with Eleanor's quilt rulers, turns out peachy cue...I have trouble with points, and this was my miracle cure.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:20 pm

Flying geese woes, I have posted in the past a flying geese on QIAD site, everything matched darlingly thanks to Eleanor burns ruler, and her book. Never do I work with points cause I fail every time.

This ruler takes you through the steps. Perhaps, borrow a ruler then you'll want to invest. Can you rent a ruler from a friend?

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”