Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Pre washing fabric

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
mellomayking

Re: Pre washing fabric

Post by mellomayking » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:52 pm

I pre-wash, too. I use a lingerie bag (one of those small net bags) for small pieces such as fat quarters....seems to help with the fraying.

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:16 am

I used to prewash all my fabric, but don't always do that anymore. I use the thought that if you wash some of it, you wash all of it. I never wash small pieces (precuts ) but hardly ever use those. I've always been afraid they will fray or shrink and I won't be able to sew them. One fabric I always wash is batiks. I've seen too many people have trouble with them not to.
Joan

morgans4

Post by morgans4 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:49 am

I always have pre-washed all my fabric as soon as I got it home. Straight from the bag into the washer, with a small step of clipping off 2 corners. A top and a bottom. It will not fray.
This time, I'm not. The reason is because I always buy such large amoungs of fabric and I just hate ironing it! Also, this time I have cut lots of 2 1/2" strips and purchased layer cakes and charm packs.
There is a product that will catch the bleeding, if it should occur, so the whites stay nice and white, instead of gray.
Now, when the project is finished, I will wash it on gentle with one of those color catchers. If something is going to come apart, I want it to do it now so I can repair it before I give it away. Plus it makes it nice and soft. I have washed just the top, but then that 4 letter word has to happen again. IRON!

If I have hand-dyed fabric, that does go into the kitchen sink with hot water to get out the excess. I keep it folded and just dunk it up and down until the water runs clear.

Namarose

Post by Namarose » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Guess who's back. LOL
I always wash my fabric. I cut the corners so it doesn't fray.
My fabric is always ready to make a quilt.
Katherine

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:30 pm

If it is all pale colors I might not prewash....depends on how lazy I am....dark colors have to in case they run....I have had black run and turn a whole piece muddy. I use Ratayne to treat colors////before sewing....nothing is saddeer than a quilt that runs after it is quilted...I have never tried color catchers so I don't know if they work or not

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”