Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

'JR Squares' tutorial...

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
shelly322002

'JR Squares' tutorial...

Post by shelly322002 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:48 am

i am showing you this tutorial of a 'cathedral square' on 'point' for all those interested.
i learned this technique a few years ago at a workshop, and have used it for jules's 'mug rugs' swap going on at the moment.
have a go!! it's very fun & easy and you can really let your creative juices flow with this one!!

first, start with a block size of your choice, mine is 7.5" (completed size at end of technique, 5.5")
find the centre and place a pin on all 4 sides. then place a pin to the right of each centre pin at a distance of your choice. (the bigger the distance, the larger the centre square will be. i chose 2 inches distance.

[/img]

next, take the centre over to the right to meet the pin on the right. you will create a fold in the material. secure the fold with a pin.
repeat this on all 4 sides, making sure the folds all lay in the same direction.

[/img]

you will create a dome of material in the centre, this is fine, as you will now go on to creating your centre square next...

[/img]

start smoothing your finger from the pin up towards the centre. do this on all 4 sides...

[/img]

you can then place your palm on the square to flatten it...

[/img]

now measure & cut a piece of contrast fabric to place in the centre of your square, secure with pins.
[/img]

turn over the edge of the square onto the fabric and sew down with small stitches. be careful not to g through all of the layers. you will be able to place your finger underneath the square when sewing down the edges. do this if it helps.

[/img]

[/img]

once you have finished your centre square, you can them start to sew down your flaps, using embroidery stitches make a lovely effect, try using different coloured threads. maybe place folded ribbon under the flaps before stitching. have fun with it. you can use lots of embellishments to finish of your squares.
here are some of the squares i have made with this technique they can make a really lovely wall hanging!!
with this one i folded back the flap slightly to create another angle...

[/img]

with this one i made the centre piece of fabric BIGGER than the centre square, then scrunched it and stab stitched it all over to secure. this gave it a nice rushed up look...
[/img]

this one again i folded back the flaps in a different direction.
[/img]

this one was a happy accident (i think it was the first block i made at the workshop) i messed up with block size and ended up with a tiny block!! i made another 3 after to made on bigger block.
[/img]

i hope this has given you some ideas, have fun and thanks for looking :c)
love jacquie xxxxxx

Jules

Re: 'JR Squares' tutorial...

Post by Jules » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks Jacquie will have to have a go at this :) your different blocks are all fab, amazing what you can do with one block, love it :)

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Wow Jacquie! Those are very very nice!! I like the last one, but looks like some very tiny steps to take.

Thanks for posting the Tutorial.
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:35 am

Wonderful!!!! this tutorial is great. My favorite is the bottom one also and I love the way you were putting them all together with the beads. very cute for a wallhanging.

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:05 pm

Wow! Sew neat!!! I enjoy the Cathedral windows block. Yours is quite different but totally beautiful!!!

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:26 am

Jacquie, this is soooo cool! I've done the traditional cathedral windows and this looks just like it..except for this one is part of a block already! What a really neat tutorial! Thank you for sharing!!

Joanne

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:09 am

WOW - what a neat way to make CW. I would be so tempted to press it with the iron instead of just my hand.

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:42 am

bttt

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:38 am

Wow!

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:53 am

Great tutorial, never known about this method thanks for sharing.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”