Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Mitered Quilt Corners

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
suki

Mitered Quilt Corners

Post by suki » Thu May 26, 2011 4:09 am

I am a new machine quilter.
I am trying to miter the quilt corners for borders and binding. I used instructions I found online and...so far it's not going real well. Any help for an easy or simple way to accomplish this project? Thank you for any help you might offer.

auntjana

Re: Mitered Quilt Corners

Post by auntjana » Thu May 26, 2011 5:23 am

In the video theatre - El does a really good job at teaching how to do mitres

My suggestions are:

1 - measure and make sure that each of the border strips you are adding on each side - stop at 1/4 inch from the end

2 after sewing them on - press each border into place - lay them straight out from each side - one will go over the top other -

3 - I then take the border that is laying on the top and fold it so the mitre shows up - making the 45 - it will lay straight on the other piece of the border - I fuss around with it until I am sure that it is perfect - then I take my iron and set a crease in the fold - this shows me where to sew -I pin it - not moving it until then - I then sew it together - using a long basting stitch and then check my work - it is still OK - I make the stitching using a regular length stitch. To start the sewing of the mitre - I start at the quarter inch dots and sew to the outside. Fold the quilt out of the way when you sew

El's videos really show this in detail

Hope this helps - they are really easy - don't let them get you down - you can do it!!

Jana

morgans4

Re: Mitered Quilt Corners

Post by morgans4 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:15 am

Let's see if I can say this in a way that makes sense. When I make a baby quilt I like to use the satiny binding that babies like to rub while sucking their thumb. To use this, notice that the fold isn't exactly in the center, so one edge is a tiny bit wider than the other. That bigger one goes on the backside. I use a large zigzag. I start not in the center of the side nor at an end, but a few inches from the center, leaving a tail of 3" or so.
Sandwich your quilt in between the layers of satin, getting it all the way to the crease. I pin it and just do a bit at a time. When I get to the corner, this is where it's magic. Sew to about 1/4" from the edge of the corner, then remove the quilt from the machine and open the satin so there's no fold, fold it backwards, over the prestitched portion. Make it nice and flat, raw edges lining up with the sewn edges. Now, draw a line on the satin that looks like it's mitered, and stitch on that line from the inside of the satin to the corner. You don't need to cut off the excess. Just turn the satin back right sides out and turn the corner. VOILA a perfect miter.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”