Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Designing a remodeled sewing room.

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
TheKid

Designing a remodeled sewing room.

Post by TheKid » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:53 pm

Please give me some suggestions of what you like in your sewing room.
We are just getting ready to do my sewing room over. This is a room that I have taken over after the last daughter moved out on her own.
The size is 15x17 with a walk in closet that is 10x 5ft. I wish to keep the walk in closet since it will be sold in the future as a bedroom. But, the rest of the room is up for grabs as to how it is planned. I will have a cutting table, a sewing table, ironing board, and a direct tv on the wall in the corner. So, the placement, shelving, other tables, etc are not for sure yet. There is alot that could be in, but I am not sure which way to go. I am placing the computer table in another room now, and I will just keep a lap tap near the sewing machine. Help with any suggestions that you can. We may keep a twin size bed in the room also. I will appreciate any of your suggestions that you give. Oh, the floor is going to be hard wood floors. Thanks for you help.

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Designing a remodeled sewing room.

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:25 pm

If you go to the photo section a while back a lot of us posted pictures of our sewing rooms... maybe these pictures will give you some ideas
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

grannyjean

Post by grannyjean » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:30 pm

The one thing I love in my sewing room is my 4'x8' design wall. I can put all the blocks for a quilt and rearrange until I get what I want. It is great.

Suzquilts

Post by Suzquilts » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:33 am

A pegboard would be my must in any sewing room now that I've had mine for a while. It keeps your tools, templates, stencils, all sorts of things out of the way and yet very accessible.

Have fun - I thoroughly enjoyed making my room my own.

Susan

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:06 am

In my quilting room, I, too, have a walk-in closet. Like a regular long closet but 40" deep I have two sets of shelving, one at each end and facing each other. I rearrange things occasionally, but right now they are filled with folded fabric, conveniently sorted for my needs. My stencils, templates, and hoops hang on the back wall of the closet.

I have another bookshelf that holds books, magazines (I get mag holders from the Goodwill to keep them corraled) and binders with info on my sewing machines, favorite blocks, patterns, ideas. On top of the bookshelf I have a desktop file holder where I place all my rulers where they are handy.

I have an old dresser of my parents' and in it I keep specific fabrics, i.e. Christmas, batiks, cat, (yes I have a whole box of cat fabric!), landscape, etc. On the dresser top is a caddy with pencils, markers, cutters, scissors, etc.

I also have a small plastic 3-drawer organizer where I keep my pins, needles, bobbins, tiny tools, binding clips, etc. And I marked the drawers so I can easily find things.

My hint #1: I find a lot of various storage containers, binders, baskets, etc, at thrift shops. Buying them there leaves more $$ for fabric!

My hint #2: direct sunlight will fade your fabric, so you will want to keep that in mind when deciding where your fabric will be stored.

My hint #3: I don't have good wall space for a design wall, so I went to Home Depot and got a 2x4 sheet of rigid foam insulation and covered it with flannel. (I want more, but so far that's all I have). But when I'm not using it, it stores out of the way. some folks use flannel backed plastic tablechothes and some put their design "board" on a big window shade at the top of the wall so they can just pull it down - a brilliant idea if your room will take it.

What fun! Hope we get pictures when you're done!!

mary

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks for your help, ideas, and tips. I have copied these and plan to probably use most of these. Again, thanks. Yes, I have looked at the pictures from the photo section at different times.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:54 am

My design wall is about 9' X 9' and is two flannel-backed vinyl tablecloths pinned to the wall. I also have a pegboard and love it. I have 3 acrylic tiered magazine racks that hang on the wall. There's two matching 6' tall bookshelves on either side of the window which holds books and fabric. The closet is not a walk-in. We added shelves on one side of it and that's where batting, freezer paper, fusible interfacing and fleece, cigar boxes with permanent pens, marking pencils, buttons, scissors tin, etc. My flat TV is hanging on the wall. Two thread racks hang on the wall. The ironing board is always up and ready. (hmmmm that sounds sexy). I have wood floors in there. I have a sewing machine cabinet and my machine and embroidery machine sit on it and it has a storge drawer for the serger. That's about it.

DarleneS

Post by DarleneS » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Be sure to get a good lamp. Especially for the winter dark days.

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:04 am

We built a studio a couple of months ago. I have 2 things that I love. My pegboards and my table that has adjustable legs. We got the things for the pegboard at Home Depot. It was a set and it had 2 plastic jars in it. They are wonderful and it also had a thing for screwdrivers which is great for scissors. The table we got at BJ's. The legs go low for kids, then the middle to be used as a buffet table and the highest is about the same height as your kitchen counter. It's wonderful for cutting. Good luck!!

Suzette
Suzette

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:39 am

OK! 1st and very important: Signage in front window reads:

CLOSED! Please call again!

Pack a picnic box, and wine coolers.

Sharing my sew room like tropical island, Xmas tree corner, heater my feet, radio for outside forecast, tabby kitten like a cougar, well he does catch rodents and bugs. Handwritten note on basement door owner on holidays till further notice. See you in spring...

If I'd have a hubby I'd direct him to his TV channels, and prepackaged food, one touch microwave...And "DO NOT DISTURB" on his forhead.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”