Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Making a full size quilt for Underground Railroad Sampler

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
patches4

Making a full size quilt for Underground Railroad Sampler

Post by patches4 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi Everyone

I need El's Angels Help please. I have Eleanor's Underground Railroad book and I want to do 12 inch squares, lattices and corners for a full size bed. The pictures do not show a full size quilt which I thought had to be 82-90 I thought. There is a quilt pictured at 60 x 90 so can I, should I, just add one more row of 12' squares and lattices then the boarders.

Just wondering how I calculate how long to make it. Do you make your squares first and lay them out and then calculated the borders,

Just wanting to get the experts help on how to plan out a quilt.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much ahead of time.

Tina

Joannequilts

Re: Making a full size quilt for Underground Railroad Sampler

Post by Joannequilts » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:51 pm

Tina, if you want the blocks to just cover the TOP of the mattress, then measure the top ONLY..then just add borders until you get the finished size that you need.
That is what I would do...with a sampler quilt, I just don't like the look of the blocks going over the edge of the bed, I like them to be seen only on the top. Hope this makes sense! lol!

Joanne

patches4

Post by patches4 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks that does make a lot of sense. Thanks for your help.
Tina

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:26 am

http://www.quiltinaday.com/community/to ... 602#340349

some time ago we did the UGRR sampler as a sew along... if you go to this link you will find some pictures that may help.

there may be more pictures in the photo section...try typing Underground in the search for this site...

hope you post a picture of yours

Chriss
Exodus 33:14

rockrock99

Post by rockrock99 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:37 am

Hi,
My name is Rocky, I'm new to the forum and I've only been quilting for about 3 years. I'm getting ready to attempt an Underground Railroad Sampler, 12' blocks. Is there any advice starting out as to cutting the fabric for the blocks? It looks a little confusing to me with the different sizes for each block. Is there a best way and a not so best way to start this? I'm looking forward to this one and I want to start off on the right foot. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:47 am

http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/Calc ... ulator.php

check out this website, it is a free calculator for borders.

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:15 pm

I made the quilt in the half size for the Railroad quilt. I havn't posted it, but I will in a few days. It was easy to make. It is a wall hanging quilt. When we are finished enjoying this wall hanging In a few years, it will be posted in a University in. Kentucky of their history section. We will also place the book with several other things for historical value.
I would place your squares on the bed you plan to use it on. Then, this will give you an idea as to how much sashing and borders you will need. I actually put three borders on it.
I made the sashing in black and hand stitched a white down the center of each sashing to look like the center of the road. I know the roads they traveled on were not
Black, but it gave the appearance of travel.
Enjoy making it. It really is easy.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”