Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Batting--is it necessary?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
Mom2boys

Batting--is it necessary?

Post by Mom2boys » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:43 am

Ok, I know I haven't been on in awhile, but I have a dilemma. I'm making a quilt for my son and want it to be a light weighted quilt. I have pieced the top in cotton (of course) and the back I bought flannel. Because I want this to be a light-weight quilt, do I need to put a batting in it? Or will it be too hard to quilt without it? I plan on machine quilting it.

Thanks in advance!
Stacy

auntjana

Re: Batting--is it necessary?

Post by auntjana » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:26 am

I made a quilt for my son who would be living in Florida for two years and used a very lightweight cotton batting - it was a very thin batting. It worked great. I have also made quilted jackets using flannel for the batting and they are warm. That also worked great for me.
Jana

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:49 am

Just a thought...I'd think that your main problem without batting would be the layers shifting during machine quilting. If you secure them together well, with some spray adhesive and some pins, it should be fine.

I'm not a quilt historian, but I know that past quilters have made "summer" quilts without batting, just a backing. The Quilt Police may argue that it isn't really a quilt if it isn't batted...just let them "talk to the hand", forge ahead, and do what YOU want!

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:08 am

I live in Tennessee and it's hotter than 7 Hell's in August and humid as heck. A summer quilt in only lined with flannel. The quilts that I got from my Granny's estate are all lined with just flannel. Of course, they didn't have AC back then either. Amie

Flystitch

Post by Flystitch » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:40 am

I just use fleece on the back for a lighter quilt, no batting. Easy to stitch as the fabric seems to stick to the fleece.

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:17 am

Stacy,
I think the flannel on the back and no batting will work fine. I'm making my mom a lap quilt, using a large piece of fabric that she liked too much to cut up. It looks like it should have been for drapes and is heavier than cotton. So I'm only using flannel on the back and not batting. The folks keep their house pretty warm and I want her to use it.

sewbug

Post by sewbug » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Before I learned to be a quilter, I sewed fabric yardage together without batting and machine quilted it for lightweight throws. The kids are still using them. They make great pool/beach blankets, wrapping up a child after a bath, tossing in the car, and just general all around useful.

Geneva2

Post by Geneva2 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:49 pm

As has been mentioned, keeping the two layers together during the quilting might be a problem. If you machine quilt it, be sure to use a walking foot. I made a snuggle quilt for my granddaughter just using two layers of ligt wt. fleece. Instead of machine quilting it, I tied it. She has been "snuggling" with it for years and it is still in good shape.

Flystitch

Post by Flystitch » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:15 am

I should think it would be fine as long as you pin well. I like to use fleece it I am not using batting. You can get some fun designs and it is 60" wide which is really useful.

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Was thinking the same thing. Like the qults of valor. Sometimes they do have restrictions for patterns, etc.

Helen

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”