Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

double wedding ring

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
JdMac

double wedding ring

Post by JdMac » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi all,

I am considering doing a double wedding ring quilt. I am looking for some info. How difficult are they? Where can I get some instruction on doing one? Thanks for all the help!

Jeff

Marilynsgrammy

Re: double wedding ring

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:28 am

if you google double wedding ring quilt pattern you will get a zillion hits.... I have never made one but I had an aunt who cut out all the small pieces and would bring them as a take along sewing project... they are beautiful.

Chriss
Psalm 91

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:30 am

I've seen several different methods of doing DWR quilts, so Chriss's idea of looking on line is a good one. But Eleanor shows one way in her Egg Money quilt that you might want to check out, too. Good luck! I plan to do one one day, too. Once I clear up my 'long as my arm' to-do list. Mary z

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:50 am

I took a class at the LQS a couple of years ago and we used John Flynn's book on Double Wedding Ring. It uses a neat trick and is totally machined piece. It is a great book - being married to an engineer and John Flynn is an engineer - the techniques are engineered to be very easy. I found that bigger is better - make the largest size block as possible - I did a small block and it was a pain in the neck!!

Have a great time trying this quilt - they are wonderful
Jana

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:19 am

I think the QuiltSmart company also makes a fusible to help with the Double Wedding Ring pattern. Haven't made one, but would probably take that route if I did...

CaroleJ

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:37 am

They aren't terribly difficult. I had almost finished hand-piecing a queen-size top for my DD. It had 5 generations of dress and shirt fabrics in it. Then came the fire. I'll never be able to duplicate that quilt, but I enjoyed making it, and my daughter and I enjoyed talking about her great grandmother who she never knew and her great, great aunt, grandmother, aunts, mother and her own daughter and son--all represented in the little pieces, as I made it and spread it out for her to see my progress. I wish you luck if you choose to make this quilt. And, if you are as fortunate as I was that you have history sewn into it, I wish you many fond memories.

I used templates that I got from Shar Jorgensen's Quilting from the Heartland. I think John Flynn's are better, as they have little notches for matching that he engineered in them. I'd probably order them if I were to make another DWR quilt.

JdMac

Post by JdMac » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks for all the great input! It had been very helpful.

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:50 am

This is good info, I think I will buy a John flynn kit. Don't know when I might get to it but thie price will only go up over time. Amie :o)

fitzie63

Post by fitzie63 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:37 am

I bought two QuiltSmart panels and found their fusible interfacing to be super thin and quite fragile. If you treat it like Eleanor does in her video instructions for this pattern, it will fall apart at the edges no matter how carefully you turn it. SUGGEST: buy a better quality fusible and trace the arcs with the template from the back of the Egg Money Quilts book. I'm really REALLY STRUGGLING with the Double Wedding Ring PLACEMENT of the arcs from the Egg Money Quilts book (table runner). I had photos heat-pressed to the centers of the 12.5 inch blocks. Used the pre-printed interfacing sheets I bought from you and carefully measured everything. I assembled two of the blocks and the placement was horrible so I carefully unstitched everything. Of course, I already had the triangle corners stitched and had to remove those too. Now, back to the "square one". Edge-to-edge measurements both directions are exactly 12.5 inches. Following the book directions, the ARCS still do NOT line up where they should meet at the centers of the triangles. PLEASE HELP...I'm ready to scream and cry at the same time :(. This Wall-hanging is very important (gift) for two special people.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”