Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Squares not lining up

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
elise26

Squares not lining up

Post by elise26 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:23 am

I have done all my square for a baby's quilt and when I lay them to assemble the quilt some of the squares are either too small theyjust don't line u. I use a 1/4 inch foot thinking that will help me it does to a point but what I'm I doing wrong?
I hope someone can help me.
Many thanks
Elise Hawkins

cindyg

Re: Squares not lining up

Post by cindyg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:33 am

Elise, I love your name. Elise is my sister's middle name. My mom wanted to name her after her favorite aunt whose name was Elsie but mom didn't like Elsie so she switched around the letters and came up with Elise.

About your squares - how off are they? If your seams are an accurate 1/4" then your cutting might be off.

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:51 am

Hi Elise, welcome to the forum.

Have you measured your 1/4" seam allowance? Sometimes it is the needle position that is off to one side and can make the seam over or under the 1/4". Take a test strip, stitch the 1/4" for a few inches. Then remove it from your sewing machine and measure it.

One thing you might think of doing is adding lattice and cornerstones to your blocks to even out the sizes. You didn''''t mention what pattern your blocks are so it is difficult to know if you could just square all the blocks up to the same size. Give us a little more information so we can try to help. Please don''''t get frustrated, this happens to all of us now and then.

sewcarolyn

Post by sewcarolyn » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:10 pm

oh I know the pain of squares not matching. Linda has a great suggestion but you also might check to make sure that you pressed them correctly and alternated the pressing so that the seams lock together

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:27 am

Elise, just posted a reply to you in Chit Chat...hope it helps!

tnwaltz1

Post by tnwaltz1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:16 am

I recently purchased the New book Victory quilts and have tried my had at making each one. I was able to get Eleanors show on RFDTV. My problem is squaring up the block to equal 12 inches. I just don't have a good idea of how to use the 12 1/2 inch ruler I have. Can I get som help?

Thanks

Lorraine P

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:41 pm

Lorraine, I sent you a PM.

ladyfan3

Post by ladyfan3 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:37 pm

I know what you are saying I have the same problem with blocks and I measure the seam and it is 1/4 inch and I think I am cutting the correct size but my blocks never come out to the correct size either what is wrong I get so mad I am about to quite quilting and I have only been doing this for almost a year thanks for the help

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Tue May 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Sent you a PM.
Joan

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon May 13, 2013 3:47 am

When you cut your fabric, are you using your ruler to measure or the measurements on your cutting mat? The ruler is much more accurate. Even if you are a single thread off - which doesn't sound like much - by the time you sew several pieces together, you can be quite a bit 'off'.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”