Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tying quilts?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
CaroleJ

Re: Tying quilts?

Post by CaroleJ » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:44 am

That's why I have a cheap dining room table...LOL! There are even a few chunks missing from the edges from rotary cutter mishaps! Not to mention the damage DH has inflicted with computer parts over the years!

LisaSims

Post by LisaSims » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:03 am

My grandma had rolls of cotton twine in different solid colors, yellow, peach, green. They were not bright colors (they were dull) and had no sheen to them. They came on thick cardboard rolls about 6 inches tall. She used them for tying her crazy quilts when I was with her in the 50''''s and 60''''s. I looked for them at Walmart, at a local quilting supplies store, at Michael''''s, and at Hobby Lobby. None of them had any cotton twine other than crochet floss or bamboo twine (very expensive). After looking on the internet, it appears what she had was "bakers twine". It looks like the cheapest prices on it might be on the "Just Artifacts" website #around $3 a roll#. Walmart has it on their website, too. She tied her quilts with two thicknesses of the twine and "granny" knots! She left about 1 inch of twine past the knots.

LisaSims

Post by LisaSims » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:26 am

By the way, I heard "granny" knots are stronger than "square" knots because square knots can fail if only 1 of the "tails" is pulled. May not be a problem in tied quilts though.

morgans4

Post by morgans4 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:41 am

In the early days, Eleanor had us tie our quilts. She made surgeon's knots. It's like a square knot, so imagine that you cross one side over the other and when you take it under, go under it twice. Then, do it again, just as you would to complete the square knot.
This is especially nice when tying Christmas packages. You don't need an extra finger while you make the bow, because only doing it the first time will hold it in place.
I hope this makes sense. It's difficult to explain. lol.
She always used all 6 threads of embroidery floss, and a curved needle is really helpful, but I didn't always have one.

TracyF

Post by TracyF » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:40 am

This thread is so helpful! I have never tied a quilt before. My grandma always used yarn and I know I don't want to do that. My question is, when using embroidery floss, don't the strands separate and fray? Do you tie a little knot at the end of each strand? That sounds impossibly fussy.

TIA for any advice!

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”