Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What is the spring for on my foot?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
cindyg

Re: What is the spring for on my foot?

Post by cindyg » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:59 am

OK - I called and found out what that button & spring are for. Xteacher and Beccasmom had it exactly right. It's to lock the foot to help it climb a big seam such as blue jeans.

HomespunMary

Post by HomespunMary » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:04 am

LOL, great detective work cindy :-)

Just out of curiosity, what is the metal "tube" and black screw on the right hand side of the foot for...?

Granma2five

Post by Granma2five » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi Cindyg,

Thanks so much for calling on this question. You are exactly right. I put in a email request to Baby Lock last night. They explained it very well I thought:

"The screw on the General purpose foot (J) is for leveling the foot when going over heavy seams. Just prior to stitching a heavy seam, when the front of the presser foot is elevated, stop and press the spring in to lock the foot so it is level. When the foot returns to the thinner portion of the seam, it will automatically unlock the spring."

Karla

Granma2five

Post by Granma2five » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:03 pm

Hi HomespunMary,

The metal tube and black screw you asked about is my needle holder and thumbscrew. It looks extra big in this picture, probably because I used the zoom feature on my digital camera.

Karla

Granma2five

Post by Granma2five » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks xteacher and beccasmom, too for your valuable input. What would we do without each other? Our manuals sure aren't much help at times, lol.

Karla

beccasmom

Post by beccasmom » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:44 am

That is cool. I was just going through some of the posts and am glad to know it was figured out. We sure do help each other out.

Brenda

blt55555

Post by blt55555 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:46 am

Found this on a blog. Makes sense

These are standard presser feet. This kind of foot has quite a few names: the standard foot, zigzag foot, universal presser foot, all-purpose foot, and general purpose presser foot. It doesn''''t really matter what you call it unless you are buying one and have to tell the salesperson or search engine. It has a wide needle hole that fits the widest stitch on your sewing machine.

In case you are wondering what that little black button is, it''''s a foot leveller. If you are starting sewing a seam on thick fabric, you push that button in before you lower the presser foot and it holds the presser foot level. When the hole foot is supported by the fabric, the button will pop out again. It works only with the shank that has a hole in the right place for the pin on the button, so if it didn''''t come with your sewing machine, it probably won''''t work on it.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”