Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Anyone tried the "Less Than Traditional" quilt, or the quilts using the "Wonder Arc"designs?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
joan6630

Anyone tried the "Less Than Traditional" quilt, or the quilts using the "Wonder Arc"designs?

Post by joan6630 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:31 pm

I bought a new pattern today while at the fabric store -- called "Gumdrops & Lollipops", using a method called "Less Than Traditional". The pattern I got is suppose to be a 2 sided quilt - where you do not sandwich like traditional quilts, but rather sew circles together, and it would be finished as you go. One side would look similar to a Cathedral Window quilt, but both sides are just beautiful. I have been trying to figure this out all nite! I did not know until I got into it that the pattern is only a add-on, but you have to buy a starter kit that would explain all the instructions. I am debating ordering this "starter kit", but having spent $ 10.00 on the pattern, & $16.00 on the special "Less Than Traditional" ruler, I am debating whether it is worth it to spend another $ 20.00 on this starter kit, and possibly another $ 10.00 for the video. The quilts used with this method look beautiful, but just wondering if anyone has tried this yet? This is the website that would show picts, etc.

http://www.quiltershaven.net/ltt-add-ons.html

Also a few weeks ago I bought the pattern & ruler using the "Wonder Arc" circular ruler. I was going to make the "Apple Core" pattern. I know someone had posted pictures of this quilt -- just wondering if this is something again that I should take a class on before trying to tackle? It looks complicated. The class is over now, but I could see if the quilt shop would still offer it. Sorry this is so long -- sometimes I should probably just stick to the traditional patterns I think!!!!

knitnoid

Re: Anyone tried the "Less Than Traditional" quilt, or the quilts using the "Wonder Arc"designs?

Post by knitnoid » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:22 am

My apple core quilt was made with the Wonder Arc ruler. I haven't seen the Gumdrops & Lollipops patter and add on. I've got to run an errand, but later today (might be late this afternoon as my niece is here) I'll see what I can discover on the website.

sewbug

Re: Anyone tried the "Less Than Traditional" quilt, or the quilts using the "Wonder Arc"designs?

Post by sewbug » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:32 am

I saw this Less Than Traditional ruler and technique being demoed at a quilt show a few years ago. It wasn't called that then though that I remember. It's almost the same as Rings that Bind book and ruler. Simply Quilts had an episode how to to Rings that Bind so if you go to HGTV and look up that episode you may find you can figure it out with the instructions there. The only drawback to these methods it that it takes a LOT of fabric.

knitnoid

Post by knitnoid » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:09 pm

I looked at the website for the Less Than Traditional method, and I know nothing about that method. Sorry.

joan6630

Post by joan6630 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:01 pm

Update: I took the class on this -- and have posted a picture on the Photo page -- was so much fun. I'm going to make a quilt, using embroidery in the centers. If anyone wants to try it -- so easy, and really fun.

JudyWoo

Post by JudyWoo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:34 am

I've been looking at the website and it really looks interesting. I like the idea of being reversable and finishing as you go along.

My only questions are: how are the rounds joined together and at what point is the batting used?

Judy

joan6630

Post by joan6630 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:02 pm

Judy

The batting goes in between the 2 fabrics. It starts with two 8 inches squares of fabric (plus the 8 inch square of batting) - with the batting inbetween, w/right sides together. Then a circle is marked, and sewed. It does waste some fabric though -- but I just save for scrap quilts. When the circles are turned right side out - then they are just sewed together by the markings, and the bottom side of the circle is the "petals" that you see. joan

Gamma2E&C

Post by Gamma2E&C » Sat May 05, 2018 7:05 am

I bought these templates and rulers at a quilt show last weekend. Looks simple and fun. I hate assembling quilts once top is completed so this should take care of my laziness. They gave a quilt class on how to use these products. Can't wait to make a baby quilt for a friend. On the back of the booklet, it says to contact QuiltersHaven.net for additional items available. I think the kits were pretty complete. Good luck to all!

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”